PDA

View Full Version : B1B Lancer

mdannebaum
05-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Whoever put together the flight dynamics didn't do it right. Everything is botched up. I opened up the aircraft config file in notepad and looked around. I'm not an expert, but i improved the flight chacteristics by tweeking the settings. The first thing I noticed is that the b1b can hardly taxi without afterburners - give me a break, can you imagine the thrust of a supersonic bomber. So i changed the thrust scaler from 1 to 2.5.
I also changed the drag scalers and lift scalers of the flaps so you don't need full power on approach - please...
Everyone crashes on landings because the vertical speed setting is set to 1200 ft per min. for collapse - I don't think soooo...
try 4000 and you've got the kind of landing gear you'd expect in a bomber. Well that's all unscientific because I don't have the true specs - someone needs to redo the config files. Too bad, because they did a nice job on the model. Try adjusting the settings, just make a backup of the original - it all done in notepad - not too hard. Also I didn't like the sound files, or the main panel - used the t38 sounds and 747 panel.

nwabri
05-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Hmmm..

Ok Ok Ok...before this turns into a bad flame war...

Lets put this all into perspective..

1st off...lets please not try to bash the developer...he/she/they worked very ##### the aircraft.

Next....have you ever flown a bomber? It is realy hard for anyone who hasnt actually had time in this type of aircraft to know exactly how it handles.

If you have suggestions or corrections to a specific model, I would certainly recomend writing the developer, rather then defaming him in the public forum.

Brian A. Neuman
Woodbury, MN
Email: nwabri@yahoo.com
http://home.attbi.com/~bribeth/usa.gif http://home.attbi.com/~bribeth/wild.gif

baddadnv
05-05-2003, 02:28 PM
Hi Mark,

I would suggest you do a couple of things.

First Read then re-read all the documents that come with the B1B.

Download ALL the patches, that are available at the designers website.

And last but not least, while you still may want to "Tweak" the Air. file, to your likings, I agree with Brian, in that it's not good practice to bash a developer, that IS working so hard to sort out some minor bugs the A/C may have.....While being so patient with simmers, that HAVEN'T even read the docs. (not saying you haven't, but many complaining about the A/C are apologizing on the developers website, for not following the docs.)

Are you pressing F4 to get afterburners on take-off?

Are you landing with 70% N1 throttle (cut to 0% JUST before touch down), as required by the real A/C, as explained in the docs?

Etc. Etc.......

This one wont fly like a 737, as in real life, a whole different animal!......That's what keeps simming fun....lots of different A/C

Friendly,

Randy Burton

TornadoWilkes
05-05-2003, 06:08 PM
1200 fpm landings?

Any real world pilot will tell you that this would feel like riding an elevator with cut cables all the way to the bottom.

An ILS approach is approx 3 degrees, giving a plane approaching at 160 kts ground speed, a 800 fpm descent (using the 5?? times rule). This of course is before any flare.

As for high power in the descent, many have not heard of the "backside of the power curve." Its worth looking up to understand why you need so much thrust for a B1B style landing, and of course that jet engines produce most thust in a small spread at the high end of the power dial.

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3de9328d5683003c.jpg

mdannebaum
05-05-2003, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the input - high marks to the developer for the model - I could be wrong about the flight characteristics and I'm not an aeronautical engineer but the thrust to weight ratio is less than a DC10...unless I misread the data.
I did write the developer and the sent me their web page...
I think I did read that the flight data was based on feel rather than hard data because the data wasn't available. (Classified).. I'm not a developer, I'm a pilot. So if someone can look at the data and prove me wrong I'd appreciate that. Don't want to bash anyone, how can I possibly when it was a gift.

mdannebaum
05-05-2003, 07:19 PM
But the question is... Is the 1200 ft per min vertical? or is it a vector of the horiz and vert components? I don't know - I don't pretend to know, but the landing gear shouldn't collapse so easily. This isn't about bad piloting skills, it's about...
we'll forget the bashing.. Is there a aeronautical engineerin the house? If you understand this stuff please test fly the b1b and let me know what you think. My appoligies to the developer -
color me impatient.

Bigshot
05-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Just where is this setting to prevent the landing gear from collapsing? I see nothing in the aircraft cfg file referring to it. Other than the gear problem, after making some adjustments to power, the aircraft flies real nice.

Alienware PIV 2.53 533mhz; Dragon Full Tower 340 Watt PS; 512mb PC-1066 Ram; Intel D850EMV2 Mobo; ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128mb; 40 gig Western Digital 7200; Koolmax Cooling; SB Audigy 5.1; 16x/48x DVD-Rom; (FS2k2 Running at 16x12x32 4xAA & 16xAF locked at 20fps.)

baddadnv
05-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Hi Bigshot,

In all the Aircraft cfg. files.......4th number from the left.

Below is the default 747.

Regards,

Randy

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3eb705c91004372a.jpg

Bigshot
05-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Hey; thanks for that comprehensive reply!

Alienware PIV 2.53 533mhz; Dragon Full Tower 340 Watt PS; 512mb PC-1066 Ram; Intel D850EMV2 Mobo; ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128mb; 40 gig Western Digital 7200; Koolmax Cooling; SB Audigy 5.1; 16x/48x DVD-Rom; (FS2k2 Running at 16x12x32 4xAA & 16xAF locked at 20fps.)