PDA

View Full Version : Newbie or Newbee or whatever

rservice
12-05-2002, 03:54 PM
Who spawned the term Newbie and who determines when some one is defined as a Newbie. We are all Newbies at some time or another, whether it is new to flight simming, or new to technology. When some people take it into their heads to moderate the moderators and dictate some high minded standard of their own invention then try to foist it on the rest of the forum members, they are not being constructive.
If you have learned something through research and wish to share it, that is commendable, but if you consider a question from someone that may have been answered recently and it infuriates you, you are not obliged to answer it. Be mature, ignore it and move on.

NightEye
12-05-2002, 04:13 PM
Well, it started in the military. New guys would be called newbies, its just a label that gets put on new guys in a masculine type environment (in sports its rookies, in fraternities, its pledges, etc.).

Then when video games came out, most notebly Quake, new people to the game who didn't know what they were doing were called newbies, since Quake was a shooting game, which relates to the military, since they shoot too. Then from there it just kind of spawned into pretty much all the video games out there and beyond.

That's my theory, and I'm pretty sure its right.

Ivaneck
12-05-2002, 04:18 PM
We are condemned to be newbies by the rest of our lifes, don't you?

Kind regards,

Joan Coll
Barcelona, Catalonia

Edam
12-05-2002, 04:31 PM
This is a term used to describe a new user of a technology (especially the Internet). In online chat rooms (or Forums), some veteran net users who think they're all that and a bag of chips like to call anybody who asks an easy question a newbie. Supposedly the term, which originated sometime around 1990, comes from the English public school term, new boy, which refers to someone in their first year of school. If you ever get called a newbie, just shake it off. Everybody has to learn sometime.

http://www.sharpened.net/glossary/index.php

Bleed_Strap
12-05-2002, 05:36 PM
LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-02 AT 05:36PM (EST)[p]Would you prefer to be called FNG? I am sure that you can figure it out.

Signature, I dont need no stinking signature.

Picstr
12-05-2002, 05:47 PM
Dude please, let it go, is'nt it enough that your wish was granted and the "EVIL" people are gone? Or do you still want your puond of flesh? Besides I fail to see the relevence to FS2002, me thinks it's a bit off topic as well. New tone my eye.

My names Tim and I'm a newbi.

Sunny9850
12-05-2002, 10:04 PM
LOL Picstr,

I am with you on that one. Let's all get back to bashing MS every once in awhile for giving us such a imperfect simulation of the greatest technological acchievment of human kind.
I for one don't think most people use the term Newbie in a demeaning way. It is just a term like posted earlier Rookie in sport and so on.
I have been racing vintage cars for the last 12 years, but the guys that are almost as vintage as some of the cars on the track still call me Rookie. And I like it.

Happy Landings
Sunny :-cool