PDA

View Full Version : How to fly a jet -- any jet

KEYkeypr
11-19-2002, 01:53 AM
Ok, I'm a FS newbie that's been working my way through the flight lessons in FS2002. Just finished up my Commercial Pilot checkride (Yeah, ME!) and thought I'd play around a little bit with the Learjet. Up till now, everything that I flew was prop-based.

Is it just me, or are jets totally different? I know they are faster, but the whole thing feels way different.

I glanced at the lessons for Air Transport Pilot, but they seem to cover how to do VOR approaches, ILS approaches, etc. Will they actually teach me how to FLY the jet? Or could somebody point me to any material that would give me some useful pointers?

Thanks,

Kenton

mikeymcc
11-19-2002, 02:05 AM
Kenton,

I'm running some backups and have nothing but time on my hands till that stuff is done. Would you like an interactive lesson right now via the forum?

Mike McCarthy

mikeymcc
11-19-2002, 03:33 AM
LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-02 AT 03:34AM (EST)[p]The following is not a joke:

You know what folks?

This makes me feel like a complete idiot. I've actually been checking for his response! For the entire time since I did my initial reply!

But of course there isn't one. His Majesty, having issued the Royal Edict, has gone off to the dance, to gavotte with the pretty ladies while Cinder-Mikey sits at home clicking "Refresh".

==================

The following also is not a joke, though some may laugh anyway. (No charge, because the laughs will be at His Majesty's expense.) ...

I think this clown ought to clean up his act.

In fact, I think he ought to be ... Simonized.

Mike McCarthy

Falcon_20_Freight_Dog
11-19-2002, 05:20 AM
Power levers forward to go,
Power levers back to stop.

Av8ist
11-19-2002, 05:30 AM
just take it up and play with it...all planes fly their own special way...that's all i did, i just take plaes up and play with them til i get the hang of them

http://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav63_banner.gif

catalinaflyer
11-19-2002, 06:51 AM
Actually Freight Dog:
Power levers forward........wait, I here them spooling........wait, here we are starting to get some push.........wait, heres some more noise.......now we finally go!

I have done some transition training with pilots from piston twins to King Air's and they all suffer from exactly the same thing (btw, I'm sure I was just as bad when I first flew a kerosene burner)they do not anticipate the need for additional power and therefore are always a little late with it and wind up with a really hard bounce. King Air's are bad with the lag between power lever and actual power but the Learjet is worse.

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3daffccd042b5d1a.jpg

rara_bb
11-19-2002, 06:57 AM
I donīt see your point, Mike - Kenton posted his request, you posted an answer 10 minutes later, and one and a half hour later, you complain. Did it come to your mind that Kenton didnīt know that you were waiting?
To me, it seems perfectly normal to post a request like Kentonīs and look for the result some 24 hours later.

BEn

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d75f6630631c63b.gif[]http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d75f67f065902d8.gif

mikeymcc
11-19-2002, 07:08 AM
BEn,

That is entirely possible ... Make a post around midnight and plan to wait 24 hours before getting an answer to the question which he put to the forum so breathlessly ... Yes, I must admit that it is possible.

=========================

Now ... If I may be permitted to quote loosely from one of the prosecution witnesses in the O.J. trial ...

"Is (whatever) possible? Yes, it's POSSIBLE. It is also possible that tomorrow all the pigs in the USA will grow wings and fly to Los Angeles."

Mike
(The witness truly did say that -- I was watching.)
McCarthy

mikeymcc
11-19-2002, 07:11 AM
Mike
(*inkles, where are you when we need you?)
McCarthy

mikeymcc
11-19-2002, 07:14 AM
The following message is for Johan ...

Bark! ... ... ... ... ... ...

Mike McCarthy

mikeymcc
11-19-2002, 07:38 AM
The following is not a joke ...

Av8ist,

Go to the head of the class!

Mike
(I like people who show initiative.)
(God does too, as in "God helps those who help themselves.")
McCarthy

KEYkeypr
11-19-2002, 06:04 PM
LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-02 AT 06:07PM (EST)[p]Mike,

I am very sorry! I would have loved that. (Assuming I could have figured out how to do it, since I haven't ever tried something like that.)

But the next guy was right. I posted the message, and then quit for the night. Didn't expect that anybody'd be around answering my question that night yet.

[passes peace pipe with a questioning look]

Kenton

-------------
Oh, and just in case anybody reads this right now (6:20 EST), I have to leave for the rest of the evening.... ;)

Kenton

mikeymcc
11-20-2002, 05:37 AM
LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-02 AT 06:18AM (EST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-02 AT 05:42 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-02 AT 05:39 AM (EST)

Kenton,

I do apologize. The "just try stuff" poster has a good view, but let me give you a couple of pointers, which amount to a "should work, more or less, with any jet transport, regardless of aircraft weight". If you have the operating handbook for the ship you're going to fly, use those numbers instead of mine.

======================

1 - Try taking off at around 160 knots with five to ten degrees of flaps, fifteen if it's a 767 and the simulation offers fifteen.

2 - Raise the gear as soon as you have a positive rate of climb.
Then begin bringing the flaps up, in stages, as you allow the airspeed to increase toward a target value of, say, 220 knots.
Flaps should be fully up by 200-210 knots.

3 - To a first approximation use deck angle (elevator) to control airspeed. Thus you will need to do a power reduction at or below 220 knots or you will find yourself climbing for the moon at maybe 6,000 feet per minute. (But try it, it's fun!)

4 - To level off, first reduce power to bring the climb rate back down to roughly zero. Then play with the elevators and power till you are happy with the airspeed which, for cruise at 35,000 feet, probably will be in the range 270-300 knots or about .82 Mach to .86 Mach depending on the aircraft type.

5 - To descend, pull the power back to idle and use elevator to control airspeed. If you're not coming down quickly enough, pop the spoilers. Hold airspeed around .70 mach during high altitude descent. When you reach 25,000-28,000 feet change over to a "knots" viewpoint and hold maybe 270 knots, or lower. (Below 10,000 feet you will want to slow the beast to 250 knots or less for ATC purposes.)

6 - You will have to learn approaches on your own, you will figure it out. (Learn the autopilot. Learn VOR and ILS.) Fly the early stages of the approach at maybe 180-190 knots with maybe 10-15 degrees of flaps. When tracking the glideslope you should be at around 150-160 knots with the gear down and full flaps, descending at about 700 feet per minute. Plan to touch down at 140-150 or so knots depending on the aircraft type. (Watch out for a stall.)

My numbers assume the aircraft to have a full fuel load. Less fuel would allow lower speeds on approach. Smaller aircraft the same.

===========================

It may take you 5-10 flights just to be able to take off and establish a climb ... And so on. I will guess 50 start-from-the-gate flights till you're able to do a decent manual ILS approach and landing. But before the challenge of manual, learn to use the automation and watch what it does and how it does it.

The important thing to remember is that jet transports are heavy (takes time to slow/accelerate) but they are, at the same time, very fast. You must learn to THINK AHEAD OF THE AIRCRAFT.

There will be no charge for today's lecture.

Mike
(am I forgiven?)
(let us know how you do)
(you're going to LOVE it)
(the foregoing are just guidelines, you'll get the hang of it)
McCarthy