PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Veering to Starboard

schick
03-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Hi all,

As per the thread title, that is the current problem I'm facing. Previously, a suggestion was made to calibrate my joystick.

After calibration, the aircraft is still veering away when the joystick is left at the "neutral" position.

I've tried almost every single aircraft, be it default or add-on, the veering problem is there.

Help please.

Thanks!

ViperPilot2
03-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Hello!

Need some more information here...

Are you saying that, when you're taxiing down the Runway that the airplane wants to 'pull' to the right?

And, that when you're in level flight that the airplane wants to yaw to the right?

With the Joystick/ Yoke in the Neutral position?

If you haven't, you might want to check Wind Speed and Direction; could be a crosswind from the Port that's causing the Yaw issue...

Or, perhaps a little more left rudder to hold station?

Hope this helps...

Alan

shanwick
03-03-2012, 12:48 PM
This may be a bit of a long shot considering that this is happening on all of your single a/c but unequal fuel loads in each wing can also cause this.

Hope this helps.

David

ScatterbrainKid
03-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Some of my planes sometimes randomly start with their rudders offset slightly, and the planes veer when trying to take off.
Sometimes the ailerons and elevators start offset too.
No problem, i simply twist and waggle the joystick to its extremities a few times to let the surfaces return to centre before opening the throttle.
It seems to be an FSX/FS2004 quirk.

jeroen79
03-03-2012, 01:36 PM
By veering do you mean rolling or yawing?

ronzie
03-03-2012, 03:46 PM
You need a little bit of null zone to take care of return to center problems on any axis. This also can apply to non-centered axis as well such as throttle, toe brakes, etc.

I use a registered version of FSUIPC3 which allows sensitivity deviation (non-linear curve) for axis for all or by aircraft if you wish and in the stick calibration you get actual numbers as you exercise the return function so you can see the variation. The non-linear calibration enables less sensitivity let us say near the yaw (rudder-nose wheel) center and increases for full rudder deflection when needed. This makes for better taxiing.

You can choose to use FSUIPC with FS axis settings or inhibit the FS joystick control and use only FSUIPC for that.

Also remember that for single engine prop planes there is a gyro effect as the engine/prop revs up for takeoff. On a twin unless it has counter rotating props this still occurs. Another thing to note that in a faithful model design at rest the rudder has a slight offset to deal with a slipstream characteristic and the gyro-torque effect but it is set for cruise. In FS realism settings you can turn off this affect if you wish.

Some of my planes sometimes randomly start with their rudders offset slightly, and the planes veer when trying to take off.
Sometimes the ailerons and elevators start offset too.
No problem, i simply twist and waggle the joystick to its extremities a few times to let the surfaces return to centre before opening the throttle.
It seems to be an FSX/FS2004 quirk.

ViperPilot2
03-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Am I incorrect in saying we need more 411 (info) to accurately determine shick's difficulties?

What everyone said here I also thought of, too..

Alan :confused:

jeroen79
03-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Am I incorrect in saying we need more 411 (info) to accurately determine shick's difficulties?
I think that you are very correct.

We need to have a detailed description of this 'veering'.
What is happening and under which circumstances?

schick
03-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Hi all,

Apologies for the lack of information.

Anyway, it happens when I'm taxi-ing. Everything's fine when I'm up in the air. As to the fuel tank imbalance, I've checked that Left and Right Tanks hold the same amount of fuel.

ronzie
03-03-2012, 09:42 PM
If you are using toe pedals for brakes and yaw be sure that none of the brakes are dragging. If you have pedals or a twist joystick than make sure in FS settings auto-coordination is off otherwise on.

If you bring up the Windows control panel and open up the gaming options how does the slider act in the yaw axis? Same on Roll. Does the indicator return to center on each when you let go?

Are you using a stick interface control panel in addition to the Windows one in gaming options? If so, do you have a bit of null around the center? It is normal for these axis controllers not to exactly return to a center position due to mechanical and electrical tolerance in the stick movement and potentiometers used to convert position to an electrical value.

schick
03-03-2012, 10:10 PM
If you are using toe pedals for brakes and yaw be sure that none of the brakes are dragging. If you have pedals or a twist joystick than make sure in FS settings auto-coordination is off otherwise on.

If you bring up the Windows control panel and open up the gaming options how does the slider act in the yaw axis? Same on Roll. Does the indicator return to center on each when you let go?

Are you using a stick interface control panel in addition to the Windows one in gaming options? If so, do you have a bit of null around the center? It is normal for these axis controllers not to exactly return to a center position due to mechanical and electrical tolerance in the stick movement and potentiometers used to convert position to an electrical value.

I have attached a screenie of my joystick calibration in FS. Everything seems to return back to centre when I let go of the joystick. Ok the rudder seems a little little little off. Not sure if that's the cause.

Oh, and I don't quite understand your last point...

ronzie
03-03-2012, 11:07 PM
It looks in your image like your twist is a tiny bit to the left if the image is accurate. In FS add a bit of null to the yaw axis slider in sensitivities to cancel out the small difference.

See if that helps.

For the record, the rudder is much more effective than ailerons at slow speeds and can really affect your take-off roll as you pick up speed. You 'kick' rudder also to get out of stall/spin situations because the ailerons have no airflow effectively over them to control roll. In these situations the rudder levels the wings.

This is a test in a real GA PPL and CPL check ride and with the hood on to simulate IFR conditions. It is called recovery from unusual attitudes and is a required test even for just VFR certification. I used it once to recover as I was passing over the threshold of a rural runway where a crosswind was burbling through the trees and lifted my right wing. I had practiced frequently rolling in a stall using rudder to level the wing so I instinctive at this slow speed leveled the wing kicking right rudder and then doing a go-around since I was too low to correct direction.

Most FS models do not simulate it too well.

Anyway a bit of null space cured that problem with my foot pedal yaw axis inconsistent center position. It does not take much to get your nose wheel of center and you end up chasing the center line.

schick
03-04-2012, 07:05 AM
I've tried adjusting the sliders on the null zone for the rudder from just a little bit to maximum. But there seems to be no effect.

I can't find the auto-coordination settings that you mentioned in FS.

Please advice. Thanks!

pivek
03-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Always make Controllers Calibrations (http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps_extras/17420/Support/EA%20Help/Whitepages/Controller_Calibration.htm) from your Control Panel/game controller app. FS options are fine, but from your pc's control panel, calibration is much more accurate

ronzie
03-04-2012, 06:32 PM
In the Realism tab as attached:

The Logitech controller app should precede the game controller applet I believe in the controller to FS flow. Therefore the FS axis sliders should dominate. You should not need to put much null zone in there.

If you do not need it try running without the Logitech controller interface probably started at startup somehow. Calibrate your stick directly in Win and then adjusting the sliders in FS for null.

If your stick shows up in device manager as an ordinary HID USB device then you should not have to use the Logitech controller application. The idea is to keep it simple.

schick
03-06-2012, 03:11 AM
So can I delete the Logitech interface? It's called the "Logitech Profiler" and everytime I double click on it, I get the message that no Logitech gaming device is connected. Quite annoying actually.

@Pivek: I've tried your method too. As per the instructions found on the website you've provided, I can't find the Settings tab.

Edit: Unchecking the Autorudder box seems to solve the problem. But can someone explain to me the reason behind this? Thanks.

pivek
03-06-2012, 05:01 AM
.... I double click on it, I get the message that no Logitech gaming device is connected. Quite annoying actually..... @Pivek: I've tried your method too. As per the instructions found on the website you've provided, I can't find the Settings

What can I say Jeffrey; some times basic Windows knowledges are needed to fix and/or work things around your PC. If the Logictech device is not connected, check the Joystick's USB connection, make sure it is tighly fitted. Also try: connecting the joystick in another PC (just to rule out if its in working condition) and see if it works properly or not, changing the USB port, reinstallig Logitech Controller driver (http://www.logitech.com) again or check in your Windows/Control Panel/System/Hardware/System Administrator (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_overview.mspx?mfr=true), and see if one of the USB controllers and/or the Game Controller itself are missing.

Hope these recommendations help you fix your joystick problem :)

schick
03-06-2012, 06:32 AM
What can I say Jeffrey; some times basic Windows knowledges are needed to fix and/or work things around your PC. If the Logictech device is not connected, check the Joystick's USB connection, make sure it is tighly fitted. Also try: connecting the joystick in another PC (just to rule out if its in working condition) and see if it works properly or not, changing the USB port, reinstallig Logitech Controller driver (http://www.logitech.com) again or check in your Windows/Control Panel/System/Hardware/System Administrator (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_overview.mspx?mfr=true), and see if one of the USB controllers and/or the Game Controller itself are missing.

Hope these recommendations help you fix your joystick problem :)

Hmm. Every other programs are detecting the joystick, i.e. MSFS, MS Vista Control Panel. Only Logitech Profiler is not detecting its own hardware.

But since my veering problems seem to be solved. I shall just leave it at that. After all, my laptop is almost 5 years old. Shall not fiddle with it. Another 3 or 4 months I'll be getting a new PC.

ronzie
03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
The autorudder check box is for those that do not have a separate rudder (yaw) control axis device like the twist in your joystick or foot pedals.

When it is checked it ties the rudder/nose wheel to follow the aileron control and disregard any rudder control if present. So if it was checked your twist actions were disregarded as well as your FS sensitivity settings for rudder and was using the aileron settings instead.

Edit: Unchecking the Autorudder box seems to solve the problem. But can someone explain to me the reason behind this? Thanks.