PDA

View Full Version : Floatplane - Starting Locations

gjdf1
07-10-2002, 09:10 AM
Hi

Is there a floatplane "base" that I can start a flight from actually on the water?

Thanks

towergeek
07-10-2002, 09:44 AM
Hi! Yes it can be done...I did it by accident in the Caribbean once...glub glub pssshhh!! There is a special designator for seaplane bases in the "select airport " menu. I'm not much of a seaplane flyer, so I don't remember what it is...maybe somebody else can help him out here!
Cheers, and don't sink! Chuck

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d0965551f7b6fe8.jpg

DSWART35
07-10-2002, 10:34 AM
You can start anyplace you want. I've placed a float plane on the Hudson River at NYC and above the Hoover dam in Lake Mead. Simply take-off from the nearest land, land on the water of your choice, set-up for take-off and "save" that situation. Pardon me if you were looking for specific official seaplane bases and already knew the above "situation" procedure. You can also "place" the amphib on any water body using FSN "move plane to here" option and then land it.

EngEd
07-10-2002, 10:36 AM
Hello, gjdf1,
Yes, one of FS2002's really neat features is its rendering of water. All oceans, and most inland lakes and rivers I've tried, support suitable sea-based planes with neat partly submerged hulls/floats, bobbing, splashes and wakes. Try this with a land plane and it'll sink.
Obviously the plane has to be sea-worthy (that is, its designer has to set things up correctly in its aircraft.cfg file). I've done a batch of sea-based craft, everything from the 1913 Benoist to Savoia-Marchetti SM.55 to Hughes "Spruce Goose" to Martin SeaMaster. I've upgraded many to FS2002, though haven't uploaded them as yet. Drop me a line if you'd like to try one.
A good number of talented scenery designers have done seaplane bases. Try the words "seaplane base" or something similar in a Search in the flightsim.com library.
Also, you can use the Save Flight feature to set up your seaplane anywhere you want. You can even start on land and use Slew (keyboard Y) to place it in nearby water.
Hope this gets you started.
Regards.
Dennis S, FSEngEd@aol.com

bthies
07-10-2002, 11:02 AM
As an old PBY pilot, I too had your same question and discovered that if at "Create a Flight"/"Current Location" you search for airports with names of "Lakes" or "Harbors", you can start your seaplane right on the water. Because I live in Gig Harbor, WA., I find my favorite at: Washington/Gig Harbor and the plane takes off towards Mount Rainier, a beautiful scene.
BillT

rservice
07-10-2002, 11:08 AM
There is a listing of "Water Runways" under the help menu of FS2K2, These are listings for the U.S. only.I believe that somebody made a utility similar to the goto airport that would allow you after you had made your own landing on water to use it as a new location anywhere.

Robt
07-10-2002, 11:12 AM
Hello gjdf1,

You might try Skagway, AK., seaplane base (7K2). Puts you in the water ready to go. Also very pretty scenery spring and early summer.

Have a nice flight!.............Harr