PDA

View Full Version : Default DC3 Problems in FS9

bruce282
06-27-2011, 08:05 AM
I have both FS9 and FSX installed on my system, both using a CH Products Yoke. Other than some addon aircraft both installs are pretty basic. When I load the FSX DC3 it gives a tip that taixing without the autorudder is going to hard and suggests I turn it on. I do and everything is fine.

I start FS9 and load the default DC3. I make sure that autorudder is turned on. I am unable to turn the aircraft. With an outside view I can see the rudder deflecting right or left but the plane continues straifgt ahead. Does the the same with the tail wheel locked or unlocked.

I running the latest versions of both applications, under Win7 64bit OS, 8 gigs memory, Intel I5 quad processor.

Thanlks for any and all advice.

Bruce

lnuss
06-27-2011, 09:08 AM
In the contact points section of the aircraft.cfg file, set steering angle on the tailwheel to 60 -- that's item 7 on that line. There are other problems, but that should help some.

b3burner
06-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Bruce,

What little time I've spent with this aircraft, I believe it is set to use differential braking (F11=left / F12=right) to do the majority of the turning. Maybe that will help.

-- John

P.S. -- update edit: In fact, I tried loading the plane to see how it works, and when I twist my joystick (to accommodate rudder/ z-axis rotation) while hitting the main brakes trigger... the program automatically activates "differential braking" (left or right), without having to actually hit the F11 or F12 keys.

Hope this helps.

garryrussell
07-07-2011, 04:25 AM
The tailwheel is free castoring, not steerable so won't be affected by steering angle in the CFG

Make sure the tailwheel is not locked (I think it loads as locked) and as mentioned above use differential braking

f16jockey_2
07-07-2011, 06:32 AM
The tailwheel is free castoring, not steerable so won't be affected by steering angle in the CFG

Wrong, that's exactly what changing the value does: turning it from free castoring to steerable.
As many may have noticed, MS changed that on the default DC-3 from FS9 to FSX as well. I changed it back to 180.

Wim

mgh
07-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Wrong, that's exactly what changing the value does: turning it from free castoring to steerable.
Wim
But if the tailwheel is locked it won't make any difference what angle it's set to.

In the .cfg file, here is an entry tailwheel_lock = 0 or 1 which determines if a tailwheel lock is available. It is in the default DC3

There is a token Variable TAILWHEEL_LOCK_ON which indicates if the tailwheel is locked.

There is a Key Variable KEY_TOGGLE_TAILWHEEL_LOCK to lock or unlock the tailwheel.

If the tailwheel is locked by default then changing the steering angle in .cfg will have no effect.

EDIT: The above only applies to FSX not FS9

garryrussell
07-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Steering or free castoring is a completly different animation modelling issue and a wheel can't be both

It might limit the amount it visually moves but can't change it from one to the other.

What that CFG mod seems to do is make it steerable with the rudder but the tailwheel is only following and not rigidly attached to any steering...so it is NOT a proper steerable wheel...still free castoring with limited deflection.

Garry

f16jockey_2
07-07-2011, 08:59 AM
If the tailwheel is locked by default then changing the steering angle in .cfg will have no effect.
And if the parking brake is on by default, the plane will never move an inch ?
There is a tailwheel lock lever on the DC-3 pedestal, you know.

Still, the correct way to turn a DC-3 on the ground remains diff braking and/or power.

Wim

mgh
07-07-2011, 10:04 AM
And if the parking brake is on by default, the plane will never move an inch ?
There is a tailwheel lock lever on the DC-3 pedestal, you know.

Still, the correct way to turn a DC-3 on the ground remains diff braking and/or power.

Wim
But your advice didn't mention it!