PDA

View Full Version : REX/FSX Co-ordination

Stratfordman
05-09-2011, 06:07 PM
I have just downloaded via DVD Rom and installed REX,which I am really pleased with.

I have just gone to the section within REX 'I just want to fly' and completed the 'configure weather load 'procedure but the type of weather I entered did not show within FSX instead I just had fair weather when I was looking for some difficult weather.

When REX takes me into FSX and I am completing the aircraft destination/arrival procedure and all the other sections what do I put into the FSX weather part?

I should be obliged if someone could assist and I thank you in anticipation.

nicky9499
05-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Under Themes, customize your clouds, skies and whatnot. Then click Load and it will copy texture files into FSX. After that just run FSX as per normal without REX, choose real weather or whatever you prefer. You only need to keep it running if you want it to handle the weather.

Stratfordman
05-10-2011, 02:56 AM
Thanks for your reply.
If I want REX to handle the weather could you please explain the process, when you state 'keep it running'.

I thank you for your help.

TransportSteve
05-10-2011, 06:16 AM
I have just gone to the section within REX 'I just want to fly' and completed the 'configure weather load 'procedure but the type of weather I entered did not show within FSX instead I just had fair weather when I was looking for some difficult weather.
When REX takes me into FSX and I am completing the aircraft destination/arrival procedure and all the other sections what do I put into the FSX weather part?
I should be obliged if someone could assist and I thank you in anticipation.

Hello,

May I suggest that you first of all, go into the create a theme section. In here you have all of the various sections for the sky colour, clouds, sea colours, apron tarmacs, etc, etc. In the sky theme you have 3 time zones, sunrise, daytime and sunset, you can generate different weather patterns for the 3 time zones as many times as you want, I have about 24 themes for different areas of the world, I haven't worked out how many themes you can actually create yet, maybe another of our experienced FSX simmers can advise.
Now when, you have created all of your themes, when you go into ''I just want to fly'' it lets you put in there either the real world weather for the location, a REX random weather theme, or, one of your own choices that you have generated, and the textures will then be transferred over into your game accordingly, but, you need to create your own themes first, otherwise, REX won't know what to look for and you'll probably get random weather patterns all the time. That's what I've done, anyway.

Come back if you're still having trouble.

Cheerz. Transport Steve.

Stratfordman
05-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Michael

JSkorna
05-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Hi,

"Keep it running" means do not close down the program while FS is running.

Stratfordman
05-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Hi again Steve,
Sorry to bother you.I have downloaded the user manual for REX,which is very helpful.However,when I complete the Quick Start button and enter both departure and arrival airports and say using real time weather,I am then transferred into FSX.The problem is that when I click on say 'Free Flight'I do not see the airports highlighted and in addition there is no weather entered.Basically what I am trying to say is that it is just like going into FSX from scratch with me entering the information as normal.

Am I missing something??

Thanks in anticipation.

Michael

JSkorna
05-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Hi,

Not Steve, but actually start flying and then see if REX starts adding the weather. Nothing is going to change on the Menu screens in FS. And you don't need to set up anything in advance. Like other weather programs, you just start them up, have the proper options on, and start flying.

Stratfordman
05-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Cheers,Jim

Stratfordman
05-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi Jim,

Sorry to trouble you again but when you go into FSX and go into the weather options am I right in saying that you just pick which ever weather you want as per normal and then REX kicks in to give you the quality.
Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Michael

JSkorna
05-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi,

No, nothing to choose on that screen either. If REX and FSX are communicating properly, the weather theme will be set to User Defined. I am not sure if you quite understand what a 3rd party weather program will do. They replace the weather portion of FS and "takes over" that part of your flying experience. You start it up, start FS and fly with the current conditions. They know where you are located in FS and they know what the weather is like.

Try this, go to your nearest large airport in FSX that is closest to your house and see if the weather conditions are very similar to the weather as you look out your window at your house.

Stratfordman
05-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks again,Jim

danielbb
05-10-2011, 07:00 PM
You will know when REX is working, green bar will pop up when starting your flight. I had the same question as you, their manual was crap lol.

Stratfordman
05-11-2011, 07:03 AM
Many thanks for your reply.Can I ask you where does this 'green bar'show?

Thanks in anticipation.

Michael

Stratfordman
05-11-2011, 08:56 AM
I should like to ask one more question in order that I can understand fully the REX system.

When entering real time weather and then clicking all the relevant buttons i.e.Reload WX,WX Textures,Flight Planner and finally 'fly now' I then go straight through to FSX.Appreciating the fact that I have alrerady entered the departure and arrival destinations into the Flight planner do I then repeat this into FSX which also includes type of aircraft etc-am I just repeating the process?Also as I have opted for real weather(updated every 15 mins within FSX) do I then opt for the real weather button within FSX.

I am sure to many of you the process is quite straightforward but I am currently struggling to find the right way forward.

I would appreciate further assistance and I thank you in anticipation.

noell
05-11-2011, 11:21 AM
If you click Real World Weather in FSX you will be using FSX to generate real world weather.
When you run a 3rd party weather program (REX, ActiveSky, OpenClouds, etc.) you need to select User Defined Weather (this usually happens automatically when using a 3rd party weather program).

JSkorna
05-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi,

If you want to follow a flight plan in FS then you need to re-enter the plan. The weather program does not do this transfer. You have the answer to that other question in the above post.

jring2
05-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Read through this and didn't see it mentioned. In the configuration manager you can click a box which says "enable rex weather engine startup with FSX" Once clicked it will always loads REX weather according to the parameters you have set. I enable all the weather options on this configuration setting with the exceptions of "real time pilot reports" Once you have set the configuration manager this way, you do nothing but start FSX and fly the way you always would. Rex starts automatically and will constantly update your weather for you. You will not need to start REX seperate from FSX again.

Stratfordman
05-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Many thanks.

Stratfordman
05-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Many thanks for your help and guidance.

danielbb
05-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Many thanks for your reply.Can I ask you where does this 'green bar'show?

Thanks in anticipation.

Michael

When the flight loads and you're on the runway, a green bar along the top comes up after a few seconds, it pops up around 4 times. The messages are along the lines off.

"rex started"
"rex converting weather files"
"rex gradually loading weather" (you see the weather vanish and be replaced)
"rex finished loading"

I wait for it to finish before proceeding :-)

danielbb
05-11-2011, 02:56 PM
I have my own question.

How do i get rex to simulate a thunderstrom? I thought the thunderstorm fsx menu option would use rex to create one, but REX just replaces the FSX storn with an average uk day lol.

Stratfordman
05-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Sorry to trouble you again,John, but am I right insaying that when you open up FSX I take it that you load up the arrival/destination airports as usual together with the aircraft type details etc.Also if you are using REX real time weather do you ensure that the time is set at the current time.Can I also confirm that in future you just go straight to FSX and do not open up REX each time you want to fly.

I would welcome your further assistance and I thank you in anticipation.

Stratfordman
05-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks,I take it you mean that the green bar comes at the top of the VC or 2D screen in FSX.

I would welcome your confirmation.

JSkorna
05-11-2011, 04:09 PM
I have my own question.

How do i get rex to simulate a thunderstrom? I thought the thunderstorm fsx menu option would use rex to create one, but REX just replaces the FSX storn with an average uk day lol.

Go somewhere in the world where they are experiencing a thunderstorm and REX will use that data to create the storm in FS. Using the FSX menu will do exactly that, use the FSX weather theme. Once again, when using a 3rd party weather program you don't touch a single thing on the Weather screen in FS.

noell
05-11-2011, 04:27 PM
And to find where there are active thunderstorms, go to the NOAH website (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/) and, on the left under Observations, click on Radar. Red sections show active weather. Click on them to zoom in.

Stratfordman
05-11-2011, 05:57 PM
When using REX weather in FSX do I do anything with the weather section e.g.User Defined Weather(customise) or do i leave the weather section completely alone.I have completed all the weather settings etc within REX but do not receive the 'Green Bars' within FSX prior to flying.

I would again welcome a response.

JSkorna
05-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi,

Leave it completely alone. There may be an option to turn the messages On or Off. The manual/user guide probably covers 90% of all this.

bgets
05-11-2011, 07:29 PM
http://realenvironmentxtreme.com/forum/index.php

danielbb
05-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Sorry to trouble you again,John, but am I right insaying that when you open up FSX I take it that you load up the arrival/destination airports as usual together with the aircraft type details etc.Also if you are using REX real time weather do you ensure that the time is set at the current time.Can I also confirm that in future you just go straight to FSX and do not open up REX each time you want to fly.

I would welcome your further assistance and I thank you in anticipation.

REX opens up automatically when you fire up fsx, assuming you have ticked the boxes in rex configuration. So you will have the a fsx menu and a new grey and black rex window which open automatically.

The green info bar appears after the flight has loaded, within 20sec. Ill do a video for you tomorrow to clarify.

danielbb
05-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Go somewhere in the world where they are experiencing a thunderstorm and REX will use that data to create the storm in FS. Using the FSX menu will do exactly that, use the FSX weather theme. Once again, when using a 3rd party weather program you don't touch a single thing on the Weather screen in FS.

Oh! someone told me differently, explains why it wont work. So there is no way of choosing weather for a particular location.

nicky9499
05-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi,

"Keep it running" means do not close down the program while FS is running.

You can close the REX window, once started the weather engine process will stay on.

Stratfordman
05-12-2011, 03:52 AM
A video could be very helpful,many thanks.

Stratfordman
05-12-2011, 05:44 AM
Still having a major problem in obtaining REX weather in FSX.

I have completed the configuration manager which included weather start-up within FSX,selected various themes having saved them and installed them.I click 'fly now' and FSX fires up,complete the input data within FSX for flight planning etc,leave the weather alone,in cockpit on runway and the real weather does not happen nor any green bars etc.

I am obviously doing something wrong but I am not sure what--Help please!!

Many thanks.

nicky9499
05-12-2011, 07:47 AM
1. Start REX.
2. Click "Fly Now"
3. Wait for the weather engine to load.
4. Wait for FSX to startup.
5. Setup your free flight parameters but leave weather theme as "Fair" - just don't touch that
6. Close the REX window (if you want)
7. Start the simulation.

JSkorna
05-12-2011, 08:56 AM
What version/flavor of FSX are you running?

Stratfordman
05-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Many thanks.

Stratfordman
05-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Hi Jim,

I am using FSX Gold edition with the accelorator expansion pack.

Thanks,

Michael

JSkorna
05-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Hi,

OK it is not a SimConnect version issue then. You should get to the REX forum and allow their team to troubleshoot this with you.

jring2
05-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Seems there is a bit of confusion. I am using REX overdrive but 2.0 works the same way. REX has you set up parameters when you first start it. One set of those is the option to start it automatically with FSX. (See 1st Image) Once ticked you never have to reopen REX on its own unless you want to change your themes. It will open its weather engine automatically when FSX opens. You will see a black window with a map. (See image 2) You can see all the different items present in the surrounding weather by clicking the choices on the left. Do NOT close this box down if you wish to fly in real world weather. If you do it will NOT load the weather into your freeflight when you start it. Click minimize and it dissappears nicely but keeps updating your weather.

You will note that the regular freeflight window is open behind it. If you wish to create a thunderstorm where you are going to fly, close down the weather engine. You don't want it. It will continually update real world weather as long as it is open. You mentioneed you wanted a thundersttorm. You can make a thunderstorm anywhere you wish using REX textures. Actually once installed that is all you ever use is REX textures. If you wish a thunderstorm at any ol airport you wish to fly from, select it the same as you would without REX. You still have all the same choices plus a few more in the menu. (see image 3)

If you wish to make your thunderstorms more real and more overcast, there are choices in the REX themes that will create better storm conditions. You can reset and reload those parameters and your thunderstorms will take on a whole new look. Hopefully this clarifies some.

Note one more thing. When you change any themes you must reload the textures for the changes to show up.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/images/misc/pencil.png

Stratfordman
05-12-2011, 12:51 PM
I find it hard to believe that FSX Gold Edition which includes X Deluxe and the acceleration pack is not compatable with REX.

Is this information correct?

JSkorna
05-12-2011, 01:13 PM
No.

abrussell
05-12-2011, 01:14 PM
I find it hard to believe that FSX Gold Edition which includes X Deluxe and the acceleration pack is not compatable with REX.

Is this information correct?

How did you arrive that this conclusion? Do you have the correct version of REX?
Bruce

danielbb
05-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Here you go, this is how it should behave/setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7HS1eGgZ7c&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PcNB1t3dqQ&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwr1kBwQ3uU&hd=1

danielbb
05-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Seems there is a bit of confusion. I am using REX overdrive but 2.0 works the same way. REX has you set up parameters when you first start it. One set of those is the option to start it automatically with FSX. (See 1st Image) Once ticked you never have to reopen REX on its own unless you want to change your themes. It will open its weather engine automatically when FSX opens. You will see a black window with a map. (See image 2) You can see all the different items present in the surrounding weather by clicking the choices on the left. Do NOT close this box down if you wish to fly in real world weather. If you do it will NOT load the weather into your freeflight when you start it. Click minimize and it dissappears nicely but keeps updating your weather.

You will note that the regular freeflight window is open behind it. If you wish to create a thunderstorm where you are going to fly, close down the weather engine. You don't want it. It will continually update real world weather as long as it is open. You mentioneed you wanted a thundersttorm. You can make a thunderstorm anywhere you wish using REX textures. Actually once installed that is all you ever use is REX textures. If you wish a thunderstorm at any ol airport you wish to fly from, select it the same as you would without REX. You still have all the same choices plus a few more in the menu. (see image 3)

If you wish to make your thunderstorms more real and more overcast, there are choices in the REX themes that will create better storm conditions. You can reset and reload those parameters and your thunderstorms will take on a whole new look. Hopefully this clarifies some.

Note one more thing. When you change any themes you must reload the textures for the changes to show up.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/images/misc/pencil.png

Thank you, Ok, so once rex is installed the inbuilt fsx weather facility uses REX textures? and the green status are only seen for realtime weather?

JSkorna
05-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Hi All,

I am going to respectfully ask that you ask your REX support questions at the REX forums. I don't want to lock this but I don't want this thread to turn into a huge support thread either.

Stratfordman
05-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Yes I have REX 2.0.

danielbb
05-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Hi All,

I am going to respectfully ask that you ask your REX support questions at the REX forums. I don't want to lock this but I don't want this thread to turn into a huge support thread either.

why not? not harming anyone, only helping, might even bring new traffic.:-)

JSkorna
05-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Because when software companies have their own support forums we like to keep the general forums clear of purely support threads, which is what this has become. I have asked the same of our customers as well when they want to carry on long support threads.