PDA

View Full Version : How do you position yourself on final approach?

BacardiDog
01-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Hello, I am new to FS 2004 and would like to practice VFR approaches. How do I position my self on final approach?

Thanks.

opaplano
01-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Hello, I am new to FS 2004 and would like to practice VFR approaches. How do I position my self on final approach?

Thanks.

Have you done the Lessons which are included in FS2004 (and FSX) ??

Landing is only one of the many subjects covered in the Lessons.

BacardiDog
01-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Hi there, thanks for the quick reply. I am familiar with the lessons, I actually got my licence quite a few years ago but haven't done much with it since. All i am looking for right now is a way to set up a 10 mile final at say 6000 feet. Appreciate any help you can provide.

torkermax
01-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Think about that a minute. 6000 ft AGL or 6000 ft MSL? Could be life or death. I position myself 3000ft above rwy elevation AGL at 10 mi. Most IFR localizer use that number also. Denver that would be around 7800 ft @ 10mi. 6000ft MSL will put you above the GS at say JFK. Even for VFR.

BacardiDog
01-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Ok, thanks. How do I position myself at 3000 feet agl 10 miles final?

Thanks.

BacardiDog
01-20-2011, 08:51 PM
What I am trying to do is position myself on final approach right off the bat. Is that possible or do I have to do a circut and then land? I just want to practice landing right now....

Thanks.

collotty
01-20-2011, 09:25 PM
you can fly an approach and when you reach 10 miles out save the flight and then everytime you want to do it just select the flight. you can also use the map to position ur plane at a certain elevation/speed/heading and once you click ok, that is where your plane will be.

BacardiDog
01-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million.

ilovetofly
01-20-2011, 09:31 PM
What I am trying to do is position myself on final approach right off the bat. Is that possible or do I have to do a circut and then land? I just want to practice landing right now....

Thanks.

OK, now I understand what you are trying to do. Next time, please be a little clearer as to what you are wanting to do.

So, to accomplish what you want to do, follow these steps:
1. create a flight
2. Be sure aircraft is running, then pause the sim
3. Open the map in FS
4. Zoom in so you can see your plane on the map
5. "Grab" your plane with the mouse and drag it to a position on the map.
6. Type in the boxes the altitude you wish, air speed and compass heading
7. Return to the sim and save the flight (Alt/Flight/Save and give it a name)
8. Return to the sim and unpause and practice til your heart is content. After landing, just reset the flight (Alt/Reset Flight) and your're ready to go again.

Jim D.

I see I was beaten in posting. But that is another way it can be done.

scott967
01-20-2011, 09:55 PM
When you want to save a flight of this type, I recommend you first pause the sim, and then save the flight. That way when you load it, you can ensure your controllers are properly set up to match (it might help to enter comments when saving if you need particular power and prop setting) before you unpause. Particularly if your panel has settings which aren't saved in the "save flight" .flt file.

scott s.

opaplano
01-20-2011, 11:46 PM

Thanks.

Just slew to where you wish to be and then "save" the flight, giving it a name which is meaningful.

You can select that saved flight anytime you wish to practice the landing.

Hope that idea is useful.

Wyvern
01-21-2011, 07:56 AM
first you need a few infos about the airport you want to land at.
one way to get it is to go into world/map and click on an airport. that will open a facility information window.
on it will be the name of the airport, lat/lon and elevation. write down the elevation
then there is a list of the available runways.

example:
Ponderosa (4PA5)

Latitude: N41*18.50'
Longitude: W77*31.48'
Elevation: 1820 FT

Runway Length Surface ILS ID ILS Freq ILS Hdg
15 2200 Asphalt
33 2200 Asphalt

the runway designation derives from the magnetic direction of the runway. "15" means the runway direction is 150 degrees magnetic plus/minus 5 degrees (though in some places it might be slightly more that's still good enough)
fly over the airport, then turn towards the opposite direction. (hint: that's the direction of the other runway)
now a bit of mental aritmetic: flying a cessna at 120 knots will take you about 2 nm per minute, depending on wind and altitude.
so note the time or start a stopwatch, and fly for 5 minutes, then do a 180.
during that time you might want to ascent/descent to the airport elevation + 1000 or 2000 feet.
after you turned around, you should be about lined up with the runway.

now after you did the last bit of lineup you might want to save the flight.

pappy55
01-21-2011, 05:14 PM
OK, now I understand what you are trying to do. Next time, please be a little clearer as to what you are wanting to do.

So, to accomplish what you want to do, follow these steps:
1. create a flight
2. Be sure aircraft is running, then pause the sim
3. Open the map in FS
4. Zoom in so you can see your plane on the map
5. "Grab" your plane with the mouse and drag it to a position on the map.
6. Type in the boxes the altitude you wish, air speed and compass heading
7. Return to the sim and save the flight (Alt/Flight/Save and give it a name)
8. Return to the sim and unpause and practice til your heart is content. After landing, just reset the flight (Alt/Reset Flight) and your're ready to go again.

Jim D.

I see I was beaten in posting. But that is another way it can be done.

WOW I have been useing FS9 for a good few years now and never realised you could do this (grabing the plane on the map).. I have always flown manually to the ILS & G/S