PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Scenery Creation

bwiafan09
11-28-2010, 04:21 PM
How do I go about creating photorealistic and highly detailed and accurate scenery such as whats created by FSDreamTeam and FlyTampa? I want to make a scenery like this for KPBI & KRSW. Any help is greatly appreciated.

bwiafan09
12-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Anybody at all?

Jim Robinson
12-03-2010, 01:08 AM
There are probably 100 different aspects of scenery design that all come together in a scenery like FSDT. There's no single program that you can use to make a scenery like that, you'd need to master dozens. Not to rain on your parade, but you'll find it a daunting task I'm afraid to build those two airports to FSDT standards, as they take teams of developers, that are far beyond the learning stage, months to create. That's certainly not saying it can't be done, there are people doing it, but it's not something you're going to whip out in an afternoon.

What you can do in an afternoon though, is download ADE9X and familiarize yourself with object placement and making AFCAD style modifications to runways, taxiways, aprons, parking spots, approaches, etc.

http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/

Simultaneously, head over to www.fsdeveloper.com, start at the beginning and read to the end :)

Jim

scruffyduck
12-03-2010, 01:48 AM
A lot of the highly detailed payware airports and scenery are designed using a 3d tools such as GMax or perhaps FSDS. There is a big learning curve with any 3d tool that I know of.

As Jim says, you can do a lot with airport design utilities, object placement utilities and stock or third party object libraries and that is a good place to start.

p_kavanagh
12-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Like the gentlemen before me have said scenery design is alot more complex than you would imagine. Optimising is key when designing for games, I have never modeled for any FS series but I believe they use a LOD system which helps. 3D design is a techinque so you must not let yourself fall into the trap of looking for tutorials based on software, for instance I use (blender(open-source)), now I know blender has a tool called the bevel tool, I also know 3dmax has a similar(if not the same) tool called the (chamfer). This is where naming conventions for each software throw people a little but in theory they are the same, so base your goals on the technique not the software!
The company you mention above I believe based on the imagery use a technique called (baking textures), this allows them to bake in a full render(with lighting), ambient occlusion(shadows/higlights), normal/bump maps, procedural textures etc etc.

Your not done yet!
Then you must find a way to export to your FS series of choice(Which is a journey all in itself(I believe!)).

jdhaenens
12-22-2010, 08:29 PM
As with getting to Carnegie Hall: Practice, Practice, Practice. :)

Jim

bwiafan09
12-26-2010, 09:35 PM
what program should you use to make the custom ground textures like the customs taxiways, runways, and aprons? And how do you make them? I plan on starting with KRSW because its a simpler airport..

Irocx
12-27-2010, 08:27 PM
what program should you use to make the custom ground textures like the customs taxiways, runways, and aprons? And how do you make them? I plan on starting with KRSW because its a simpler airport..

Here's a good tutorial called "Creating High-Detail FS Ground Polygons" by Bill Womack (recently of Orbyx fame) : http://www.simpilotnet.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=206&Itemid=32

Keep us up-to-date as to how you're doing - have fun!

MarkkuS
12-28-2010, 02:58 AM
Simultaneously, head over to www.fsdeveloper.com, start at the beginning and read to the end :)
Jim

I very good advice, but you don't have to read everything at once. But are there lot of useful information in the old threats.

And the people at the fsdeveloper forums are knowledgeable, helpful and kind.

bwiafan09
12-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks everyone.. hopefully I will learn enough from all the provided links to get this project done.. As a special request, if anybody has pictures of KRSW they would like to contribute for modeling reference, I would greatly appreciate them.. you can pm me and I will give the email you can send them too.. I'm flying through there on the 8th, so hopefully I can get some good pictures..

bwiafan09
01-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Ok I am getting fed up with what I feel to be a very core part of this scenery.. Can somebody PLEASE get an image of KRSW to use as a base for the scenery such as an aerial photo? I absolutely CANNOT find one.. I need this photo as I have started modeling the different building and structures that need to be modeled such as the main terminal and runways & taxiways and I need to know where to put them.. Besides.... I want a photorealistic ground...

p_kavanagh
01-01-2011, 09:17 AM
http://maps.google.com/

Tip:
Take as many medium res images as you need, then create planes for each and join them up.
his will give you some nice references but thats all they should be used for.

You could also try a quick google search for "mt0.google" and read up on it.

Jim Robinson
01-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Google "florida gis" and see what you can find. I just did a quickie and it appears there's some one-foot ortho from 2008 available. I haven't figured out how you download it or if you have to buy it but here's the page:

http://clearinghouse.labins.org/search.cfm?theTheme=Imagery+%26+Photographs&txtKeyWord=lee

Lots more google results, you should be able to find something.

Jim