PDA

View Full Version : Dominica Charts

arcueil
09-12-2010, 07:32 PM
I just did a flight from TJSJ to TDPD and ATC vectored me straight into the highest peak in Dominica. I had a feeling that this was going to happen, so I was prepared to increase my altitude -- no problem. However, this is not realistic and I would like to do the approach to TDPD (Melville Hall Airport), RWY 9 the right way, especially now that the weather in that area is not especially good. Where can I find charts for this airport? Charts for Canefield Airport -- on the other side of Dominica -- would be great as well. Thanx.

ReggieF5421
09-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Just a couple notes - but basically if it is not VMC, you don't land at TDPD Rwy 09 - you divert.

No night flights / takeoffs / landings allowed.

EDIT - looked through my DOD approach chart books for the Caribbean - and there are NO instrument approach procedures for either airport.

I could find nothing on Vatsim except this forum post - http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=35218

I also found this AIP - http://www.horizoncaraibes.fr/charts/tdpd.pdf - no approach procedures. Airport only open 1200-2000 UTC each day (0800-1600 local time).

arcueil
09-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Hi Reggie,

I figured that that would probably be the case. The only way to make a landing on RWY 9 in a more or less normal way would be to approach from the north and then make a sharp turn and descent, and even that would be in a VMC emergency. As you confirmed, the only proper approach would be from the beach side. I already knew about the operating hours, "no nightime movements" and lack of instrument approach procedures, so no issues there. The next time ATC asks me to use RWY 9, I'll just tell them I want the other runway, unless I do have a blown engine courtesy of FSP and no way to get to the other side. Thanx for the input.

ReggieF5421
09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
There is supposed to be an RNAV procedure recently developed for Rwy 09. It's probably steep and a sharp turn in the last mile before touchdown - but nothing unusual or hard to handle for a real world pilot flying an ATR or Dash-8 into that airport.

I'm pretty sure the AmeriJet B727 would want a Rwy 27 landing, but they might use Rwy 09 because Rwy 27 has no go around possibilities if a waveoff happens late.

ATC won't give you Rwy 27 if the winds dictate Rwy 09, but you can cancel IFR and land on Rwy 09 anyway.

cesarnc
09-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Several NOTAMs here

http://caa.gov.tt/media/PIARCO%20AIS/CURRENT%20NOTAM/CURRENT%20NOTAMS.txt

Including:
(A1038/10 NOTAMR A0971/10
Q)TTZP/QPIAR/I/NBO/A/000/999/1533N06118W020
A)TDPD B)1009081000 C)1011302359
E)THE INSTRUMENT PROCEDURES (RNAV AND NDB/DME) FOR
MELVILLE HALL AIRPORT DOMINICA, ARE STILL BEING
FINALIZED. THUS, DURING THIS PERIOD, PILOTS OF IFR
AIRCRAFT INTENDING TO LAND AT MELVILLE HALL AIRPORT