PDA

View Full Version : turning. Right, Left using NAV

skipper847
04-12-2010, 01:16 PM
I dont no how to explain this but When your in IFR and the ATC telles you to go right heading 40 degree etc and when your using the Omnibearing selector (NAV1) to line up to 40 degrees right using autopilot does it matter if you north,south, east, west to which way you actualy turn?.

Say your North and it says turn left heading 40 degress so you click the selector to the left as its pointing North as north is up. But if your south is it the same?.

Sorry im not very good at explaining this i no what i mean in my head but i dont no how to explain it properly in words.

tommchowat
04-12-2010, 01:20 PM
I think you might be confusing something...

If ATC says, "turn right heading 040 degrees", they are telling you to turn right to a heading of 040. So if you were on heading 350, you would turn right 50 degrees (as there are 360 degrees in a compass/circle) to reach 040 degrees.

Usually ATC will tell you which way to turn, and to which heading (your heading is the number at the top/centre of the nav display, ie. which direction you are going in). Sometimes they will say "turn left ten degrees" which means turn left ten degrees of your current heading. In other words, if you were at heading 070 and ATC said "turn left ten degrees" you would turn left to heading 060.

I suggest you do some reading on basic navigation and this will seem alot easier.

n4gix
04-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Just to be absolutely clear here...

You must switch from NAV to HDG mode if ATC gives you a specific turn instruction!