PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Pedals - Ouch!

cfelix
05-14-2002, 03:41 PM
I've just added CH rudder pedals to my setup and love the realism they add to FS. The one problem I have is that after using them for 15 minutes, my ankles really start hurting x( . Do I have them positioned wrong or is this just part of the learning curve that will go away over time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie - KSJC

still_hovering
05-14-2002, 06:13 PM
I got rudder pedals as well, CH pro USB
works as a charm.

what u must do is to have good support for back of feet on the floor, and just use toes/front of feet (in lack of better words in english...)

well...since I only fly 'copters I just have to wink a little with the toes to make it go where I want to, maybe larger movements with planes..?

but, try to keep feet supported on floor, that will do it..promise!

//Leif "Still_Hovering" Almberg

cascadesss
05-14-2002, 07:18 PM
Bring the pedals closer to you.

Also, I usually keep my heals on the floor and toes on the pedals, unless I need to push one of the pedals to the stops. Most of the time you just need to use minimum rudder

Rick - KPDX - Private Pilot
http://www.oregonpca.org/images/PSA.jpg
Dual XP1800's - 1G RAM - ATI-8500DV

xplanefanatic
05-14-2002, 07:22 PM
Same thing here I just move them a little farther when in the air and just use my toes on the bottom of the pedal...and that crap hurts to don't it???

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cdd92d9132c3acd.jpg

KALB2
05-14-2002, 10:05 PM
When in cruise use the autopilot, so that you only use the pedals during taxi, takeoff, and landing. If yo do not want to use the auto pilot, trim the aircraft for straight and level flight, take your feet off the pedals and wiggle the toes. I also find it's more comfortable to take off shoes.

flyinggriffin
05-14-2002, 11:04 PM
Make sure your legs are not too straight or that your knees are not in your chest. You also can fly in cruse with your feet flat on the floor. Check and make sure your setup is not too sensitive. You may be tensing up, so RELAX!

Grunt
05-14-2002, 11:26 PM
I agree...much more comfortable without shoes.

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cd69cdf6182b41d.jpg
[link:www.voyagerairlines.com/gle/index.html|Great Lakes Express VA - The Midwest's regional and feeder airline]

fbass
05-14-2002, 11:56 PM
Charlie,

I use a tilting office chair (wide with arms) that has a locking pin you can slide into place that keeps the back of the chair and the seat tilted towards the back. This raises your knees and feet such that it is much more comfortable.

doomba14
05-14-2002, 11:59 PM
Hi

I dont have rudder pedals, which i did, mabe will someday. I dont think i will have any problem with pain as i have been drumming for 5 years so i have built up good leg muscles, i noticed when i started playing that my shin muscles hurt as i did not know the propper kick technique i used to have no pressure on the pedal while not using the bass drum this resulted in tensing up ur shin muscles, now i use the propper techniqe where u hold the bass drum pedal down (beater on the skin at all time exept for using the bass drum this also results in more power. Obvisly u cant do this with rudder pedals as the aircraft would go all over the place.

I recomend having the pedals at the distance so ur laegs are relaxed as possible and maby change the height of the chair so when not using the pedals u dont need to hold ur legs up this will cause sore muscles, you will slowly develop the correct musle groups the more you use the pedals also so the 1st mont or 2 may be a bit painfull but worth it. Also regular exercise and if it gets a bit painfull pause the game and have a small walk around the house.

Hope this helped

Tom

rabbitcancer
05-15-2002, 12:00 AM
Might I suggest Richard Simmons' Sweatin' to the Oldies for people with sore ankles??? :)