PDA

View Full Version : Air Venture in Oshkosh - anyone go here before?

Ragtopjohnny
09-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey all,

I'm planning on going to Air Venture this coming year, and just wondering about feedback on the event from people who might have attended.

If so, how was it? How much should you plan on bringing with you for spending/etc?

Any near by hotels to the Airport?

This is my first real trip since High School I'm going on next year, so I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks for any info, really looking forward to this :D.

n4gix
09-16-2009, 12:04 PM
For any real aviation enthusiast, it can easily be the "adventure of a lifetime" without a doubt.

Make your hotel/motel reservations now if you actually want a room fairly close by. Most rooms in the Oshkosh/Appleton area are booked a full year in advance...

If you will be driving (or renting a car), for the least expensive option, book a room south of Oshkosh, somewhere along Route 151 between Waupun, WI and Fon-du-Lac, WI, or Route 26 between Waupun, WI and Oshkosh, WI. Actually, even as far south as Beaver Dam, WI is okay, as it's only around a hour drive to KOSH.

Plan on around $100/day for admission, meals and incidentals.

Ragtopjohnny
09-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Bill, can you give some of the actual hotels to look for? I'm totally new to planning these things and not sure of where and what's what....thanks! :D.

Also, in booking, if you use your card, they just hold the rooms right? They don't actually charge it I take it until you check in?

n4gix
09-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Bill, can you give some of the actual hotels to look for? I'm totally new to planning these things and not sure of where and what's what....thanks! :D.

Also, in booking, if you use your card, they just hold the rooms right? They don't actually charge it I take it until you check in?

The card merely holds the room. No charges are made until check in.

See this link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=hotels+near+waupun+wi&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&ei=YRCxSvz0JoqkMde34fIN&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1

I've stayed twice at the Super8 (G) in Beaver Dam, and once at Americinn (B) at Waupun.

Both places were < $100/night.

Ragtopjohnny
09-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Not bad set of links there. I'm trying to save as much as possible, so avoid renting a car if I can, and I was checking to see, and there's a Holiday inn express right in Oshkosh, not far away from the Airport. I might possibly look into that when I check online too to see how much a night. Seemed very close there anyway on the map.

lnuss
09-16-2009, 03:28 PM
To what Bill said, I'd add that there are options other than hotels. While I camped under the wing one year, another year I stayed at the dorm of a university in Appleton (Lawrence, maybe -- not sure, now), which was cheaper (and less luxurious than) a hotel room -- mostly just a small bed to sleep on. It actually worked out pretty well.

Also, for EAA members (not horribly expensive to join - $40, best done well in advance), Camp Scholler is available for RV or tent camping, first come first serve -- no reservations allowed: http://www.airventure.org/planning/camp_scholler_guidelines.html

For more information on the above, and more, look at EAA's Airventure Planning (http://www.airventure.org/planning/) web site, where they talk about lodging, food, transportation and much more.

You might be able to get a ride there (perhaps sharing costs) with a local pilot there who is flying in (I had a college student with me once when I flew in, sharing expenses -- I see notices on airport bulletin boards all the time), perhaps you could also share ground transportation with someone -- you're far from the only one who needs to keep expenses low.

But, as Bill says, better make any reservations yesterday, if not sooner. There might not be any of the normal facilities available, since many, many people make their reservations a year or more in advance.

As to spending money -- that's difficult to advise, since so much depends on you, and I don't know you. You'll need to have some way to eat for each of the days you plan to spend there, and short of camping or trips to the grocery store, you'll need to plan on eating pretty much every meal out (prices are high on the field, a bit better if you walk across the street to the north, perhaps other locations, too), (some places, many on the field, don't take credit cards). Also, are you looking for souvenirs, trinkets, aviation goodies, entertainment (??!$?), etc.

So once you figure how much cash you'll need, add at least 50% to that, for the unexpected (Oh, look -- I want that (gadget/trinket/whatever; that restaurant is more expensive than I expected, etc.).

Remember that you don't have to be there the entire week -- two to four days may be enough for you the first time -- it depends on you.

Ragtopjohnny
09-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Larry -

True - I'm planning on at least a 2-3 day time being there, so it won't be bad. Don't want to be booked the whole event, then say, yup, saw that, yup, saw that, etc...

Should be quite a good tme in deed - definitely looking forward to it. I was checking out the Holiday Inn Express which is just north of Oshkosh Airport, and that didn't seem too bad. I'll have to check into the University Housing too - never even thought of that aS well.

Thanks for the suggestions/input! :D.

What's your N-Number? I'll have to note it if you're going next year....:)

ytzpilot
09-16-2009, 06:16 PM
We where talking about going for next year as well....Book now you say - Never really thought about that but I guess that does make sense.

Ragtopjohnny
09-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Yeah, it does - I'm starting to check into EVERYTHING - might go by train, seems reasonable enough....:)

ytzpilot
09-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah, it does - I'm starting to check into EVERYTHING - might go by train, seems reasonable enough....:)

We traveled by train just this past summer. I didn't want to at first because I prefer flying of course. But after the trip I thought the train was great...

In Canada we have free WIFI on the trains and in the stations and I know AMTRAK is WIFI in the stations. Hopefully they will have it on there trains by next summer as well. That way you can stay connected on your journey.

Ragtopjohnny
09-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Ah, thanks for that info, but no lap top here - just gonna have my portable DVD Player and head phones so I can watch movies along the way - :)

I'm starting to save all ready, and I hope that I will be going THIS year - I got thinking last night that with work, I hope they don't wait until we're here a whole year before they put in on Vacation time.

I know our training supervisor said that we do get it, but now I'm kind of confused as to when - I'll have to ask him again about that....

avallillo
09-23-2009, 02:59 PM
I've been going to Oshkosh for over 20 years now, and all I can say is - don't miss it! It is, simply, the greatest aviation show on earth!

As has been pointed out here, you more or less have to inherit the right to book a hotel or motel room in Oshkosh itself during the show. EAA block books a lot of rooms for VIP guests and the rest book up years ahead. But there are still 3 ways to stay in Oshkosh itself. First, you can camp on the grounds. Camp Scholler is the name given to the EAA campground, and it is very convenient to everything at AirVenture. The second route is the dorms at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh campus. They open up several of these big high rise dorms to the AirVenture crowd, with convenient shuttle buses running between there and the airport. Finally, you can do what I have been doing for the last 17 years or so -- at least half of the population of Oshkosh turns their homes into temporary B&B's during the show, and you can stay at a private home with all the comforts! EAA and the city of Oshkosh jointly sponsor a housing hot line to which the homeowners submit their room availability. All you have to do is call and they will hook you up with any number of folks who would be delighted to have you stay with them. You can do this months before the show, as soon as the hotline opens up. The cost is usually less than a hotel or motel would cost, and if you like the place and the people you can probably arrange with them to stay again the next year. I have been going back to the same family now for, as I said, over 17 years. This is the route I would recommend, unless you like camping and want to stay at Camp Scholler.

Tony Vallillo

InsyleM
09-27-2009, 10:12 PM
For one week, every summer the gates of heaven open and decend apon Oshkosh Wisconsin. People sell parking in their own yards. Its great. Take a hand held GPS reciever to mark the location of your car. You'll need it. Camel packs are another MUST. Fill them with water and put some of those coleman freezer thingys in them. Wear loose fitting light colored shirt and a hat. Sunglasses help as well. I dont know about hotels, I stayed with my sister in Milwaukee. It was awsome! I got to go in 2008! Saw them fly a rocket plane, and an electric plane. Duggy the DC-3, the Smile in the sky was there. That was my sister's favirote plane :) They had the B-17 there from KYIP near where I went to A&P School. HUGE Fields of people's private planes with lil campsites by it. The Lt Dan Band played and they showed Broken Arrow. But my sister and I were too tired to stay for that though :(
THey also did an amazing F-22 demo.
Go, Have fun! It's great!
-Jonathan

Hey all,

I'm planning on going to Air Venture this coming year, and just wondering about feedback on the event from people who might have attended.

If so, how was it? How much should you plan on bringing with you for spending/etc?

Any near by hotels to the Airport?

This is my first real trip since High School I'm going on next year, so I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks for any info, really looking forward to this :D.