PDA

View Full Version : What do i need to change???

RAULDK
07-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Pc specs:

Amd quad core phenom 2.3ghz
4gig pc6400 ddr2 memory
1 terabyte hd sata
built in 5.1 sound with logitech 5.1 surround speakers
2 gig sparkle video card pci-e 2.0
1 blu ray burner & blu ray player drive sata
vista premium 32bit with latest service packs
force feed back joystick
ms flightsim 2004 = 60 fps
ms x = 2.3 fps

everything in both flightsims are maxed out. It looks great response wise with ms 2004 but lousy on the details on the planes.

Ms x looks great on the details but slow as hell.

What do i need to do or replace in order to get ms x responding like ms 2004?

JSkorna
07-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi,

Your processor is too slow. You need 3.0 ghz or faster.

You didn't list your video card details. Not sure what sparkle card you have and I don't think there is any mainstream card out there that has 2 gig of memory.

For FSX you need to properly have FSX SP1 and FSX SP2 installed.

You cannot compare FS04 and FSX running at maxed out settings. Maxed out settings in FS04 is about equal to settings half way in FSX.

You need use the 3GB switch to allow Vista 32 to use the extra virtual memory on your system.

Thanks,

abrussell
07-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Although you won't get 60fps with Fsx , nickn's guide to tuning Fsx will certainly improve your Fsx performance.
Link

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

Bruce

RAULDK
07-22-2009, 05:45 PM
HERE IS THE VIDEO CARD I HAVE

http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=70&sub_id=284

500 WATT POWER SUPPLY AND YES THE VIDEO CARD IS CONNECTED TO POWER.

Ragtopjohnny
07-22-2009, 06:14 PM
I know this must sound like a stupid question Raul, but you do have all the power connections hooked up to the card if it requires it, right?

That could be a downfall right there if it doesn't. Also, if your power supply on your computer is too weak, it might not have enough to bring it all it needs (to the card)

Hansz
07-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Switch to Vista 64 could be a good option to use all the RAM.

Off topic: Ragtopjohnny, when will be available the Airwolf Project?, I am waiting for such a beautiful heli!

Ragtopjohnny
07-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Hansz....

(off topic reply :D)

No release date as of yet, but we are working diligently on the project....

Then comes the issues of getting permission from Universal, I'm building a digital portfolio for them to see what I'm making so the know it's not garbage.

If you check out the screen shot forum and search Airwolf Production Stills you will see everything posted so far to date. Some things are being redone though, like the virtual cockpit which I didn't like the way it came out the way I built it.

Thanks for asking!

bugdozer
07-22-2009, 07:48 PM
My computer has lower specs than that but I'd no way describe FSX as slow as hell. The only things I have set relatively low are the autogen and cloud draw distance - everything else is up near or at the top end, and I get good performance. Not spectacular performance, but perfectly reasonable.

jeh
07-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi,

Your processor is too slow. You need 3.0 ghz or faster.

This surely hasn't been true since the days of single core processors. I have an intel q6600 quad (which is pretty old now) @ 2.4ghz and it runs FSX perfectly well. It really doesnt pay to look at the 'Ghz' of a processor when buying these days, price is really the best indicator for a non- hardware expert.

And as for you Raul, try turning the traffic sliders down, as that really slows things up for me.

I notice that you have gone for a 9600 series card, this will suck at high resolution no matter how much gRAM it has. If anyone is considering buying a new graphics card, I personally would make sure that you get the 'highest number' of any nvidia series, ie a 9800 instead of a 9600, or an 8800 (which btw is much better than a 9600) instead of a 8600.

Anyway, with that setup, and assuming that you are playing at a high resolution, anything over 1280x1024 will usually see performance drop in most cards (Ii have an 8800 and if i played at 1280x1024 instead of 1900x1200 id get pretty much twice the fps) you are going to need to turn sliders down my friend, turn bloom off, turn dx10 preview off, and see if that helps.

RAULDK
07-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey guys,

thanks for all the info. I am going to upgrade my power supply to 650 or better.

As for the video card. I will just have to deal with it. I got it for $99 bucks so it is here to stay. It is powered by the power supply

i did all the suggestions based on the website listed in this thread.

It has gotten better. It went from a 3.4 fps to 11 fps. A little smoother but still not what i expected with a 2 gig video card and 4 gigs of ram.

RAULDK
07-22-2009, 08:28 PM
HOW DO YOU DO THIS?

You need use the 3GB switch to allow Vista 32 to use the extra virtual memory on your system.

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

Paxx
07-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Hey guys,
... but still not what i expected with a 2 gig video card and 4 gigs of ram.

Welcome to the twisted world of FSX performance. :)

Actually if your computer case has room and depending on your motherboard BIOS, you could add an aftermarket CPU heatsink and overclock your CPU to a higher clock rate and thus improve FSX performance (perhaps significantly).

In the meantime lower your sliders and turn off the more advanced graphic/weather/terrain options until you find your particular system's FSX sweet spot.

Paxx
07-22-2009, 08:34 PM
HOW DO YOU DO THIS?

Thanks,

The instructions are here, (http://www.flightsim.com/fswiki/index.php/OOM_Error) but dont expect much FPS gain, if any, at all. If you have been experiencing Out of Memory messages and the sim has been crashing then the 3G switch will probably help those issues. For increased FSX FPS performance it does little.

RAULDK
07-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Damn, after tweaking it a little more, i got it to 22 fps. It is so smooth(better than 11fps). I will do a little more tweaking and see if i can get to 30fps.

You guys have been great at giving info on how to tame this beast.

Regards,

RAULDK
07-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Btw, after tweaking it i landed at jfk in ny. I made a video and i wanted to know where would the movie file be( IN THE MSFS X DIRECTORY? I wanted to burn it to a disk or email it.

Regards,

Kapitan
07-22-2009, 11:14 PM
This surely hasn't been true since the days of single core processors. I have an intel q6600 quad (which is pretty old now) @ 2.4ghz and it runs FSX perfectly well. .

I second that comment.
Intel 2.66mhz dual core 4gb ram 512mb nvidia 8600gt

FSX runs smoothly at 30+ with all settings maxed, except light bloom, and autogen is off. It has to be, cause I only use satellite imagery scenery.

To Raul, I think your computer must be dirty with many things that make it slower, dirt registry fragmented hd, programs in the background, even some you dont know, press ctr+alt+del and check runing processes.

Im sure this must be the case cause your computer is topo of the tops so FSX should be runing very well, specially with your video card.
K

JSkorna
07-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Guys,

In his OP he did state that he first wanted to max out his FSX sliders and we all know that this takes a very strong CPU as a starting point. I don't discount anything you have added to this fine discussion, but that is what I made that suggestion of 3.0 or higher.

Thanks!

loki
07-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Yep, to max out the settings you need a fast processor. Turning things like autogen off, or lowering the slider, does help reduce the load. This is the cheapest way to improve performance.

There is a noticeable difference between an AMD Phenom and a, Intel Core 2 processor. The Core 2 series are more powerful processors, and you would need a 3 GHz Phenom to compete with that 2.66 GHz Core 2 CPU. If the original poster's motherboard can handle it, a 2.8-3 GHz Phenom II CPU would provide a decent boost in performance.

Ragtopjohnny
07-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Also, check out http://www.highflightsimulations.com for tweaks to the .cfg file that should help....I used some, like the loading time one, and it works really good! (I fly with tileproxy so I need that....)

RAULDK
07-23-2009, 06:53 AM
hey guys,

in regards to the switching cpu's, i am maxed out on my 95 watt motherboard. i have installed a amd phenom quad core 9500 (2.2ghz). in order to use a faster cpu i would need to go to a 125 watt motherboard. i might move to a phenom II quad core 955 (3.2) in the near future. i will also move into the 64 bit area in order to take advantage of more than 4 gigs.

as for things running, you are correct. i have a lot of programs running. i build custom pc's and home theathers. i have built a monster pc last week for a customer and installed a 52 inch lcd in his living room. i brought over my cd and joystick and installed fsx and that guy and his wife were _ucking amazed at it. he felt like her was in a plane. he was getting 46 fps right after the install of the cd and some upping of slidders.i installed a 2 gig video card as well a 2 tb hd, phenomII quad core 955 black edition cpu and 8 gigs of ddr2 dual channel. he has only 7 programs installed on his. thats is what made me want to tweak mine.

back to the drwaing board. ms fsx can be an expensive hobby i see.

bgets
07-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Why do you feel the need to swear when expressing yourself?

RAULDK
07-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Why do you feel the need to swear when expressing yourself?

do you have any advice to offer on how to tweak my system? no? i did not see any advice. ok don't worry about me using an expression. you understood what i felt so don't cry because you see "_ucking" in a sentence.

cry baby

bgets
07-23-2009, 07:52 AM
So, why can't you just answer my simple question?

RAULDK
07-23-2009, 08:03 AM
LISTEN, DON'T ASK QUESTIONS YOU ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER TO.
LIKE YOU NEVER EXPRESSED YOURSELF BEFORE.......
GO AWAY.........

CRY BABY:p

BMG50
07-23-2009, 09:23 AM
I,m with bgets on this and see no see NO reason to use that language on this board.You don,t see other people posting like that...Grow up and get over the vulgarity...And I,m not a "cry baby",just a grown man...BMG50

RAULDK
07-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Ahh jesus!!

loki
07-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Asking pointless questions and calling people names aren't going to help anyone, so both of you can knock it off. ;)

loki
07-23-2009, 09:45 AM
If are looking at upgrading the CPU at some point, look at the Intel Core i7, not AMD. And i7 processor overclocked as fast as possible will get you much further than a Phenom II.

As for video cards, the GPU used should be the primary spec to look at, not the amount of video RAM onboard. Some manufacturers like to put lots of of video RAM on video cards with weak GPUs, even though it is a waste. A GeForce 9800GTX, 260, 275, or 280 would be good choices.

RAULDK
07-23-2009, 10:03 AM
if are looking at upgrading the cpu at some point, look at the intel core i7, not amd. And i7 processor overclokced as fast as possible will get you much further than a phenom ii.

As for video cards, the gpu used should be the primary spec to look at, not the amount of video ram onboard. Some manufacturers like to put lots of of video ram on video cards with weak gpus, even though it is a waste. A geforce 9800gtx, 260, 275, or 280 would be good choices.

thank you for that info / advice. I will go for the i7

Ragtopjohnny
07-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Raul,

Did you try the http://www.highflightsimulation.com tweaks? They have tweaks for adjusting performance as well for number of prossesors.

One I'll give you here from their page is:

This tweak sets FSX to accept multi-core systems by adding the [JOBSCHEDULER] command. There are several variants that can be applied to the settings depending on if you have single, dual, tri or quad-core system.

Should you choose to use this "tweak", here's how to do it:

Add the following command:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=n

n= # of Cores

1 1 core 0001

3 2 cores 0011

7 3 cores 0111

15 4 cores 1111

Since I am utilizing an Intel i7 Quad-Core Processor on my system, my FS is set to:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=15

I have mine on 3 since I use Dual core on my Dell. I've really noticed a difference implementing some of these....You have a quad so 15 would be good for you.

Also, I don't want to see any one get in trouble at either, so this is really a happy - go lucky board. We need to tone done things just a tad - I went to PC Tech Class, so I'm trying to help you out here - just be patient, you'll get it sorted out - and yes, FSX Can be an expensive hobby, but worth it...:D.

RAULDK
07-23-2009, 11:03 AM
raul,

did you try the http://www.highflightsimulation.com tweaks? They have tweaks for adjusting performance as well for number of prossesors.

One i'll give you here from their page is:

This tweak sets fsx to accept multi-core systems by adding the [jobscheduler] command. There are several variants that can be applied to the settings depending on if you have single, dual, tri or quad-core system.

Should you choose to use this "tweak", here's how to do it:

Add the following command:

[jobscheduler]
affinitymask=n

n= # of cores

1 1 core 0001

3 2 cores 0011

7 3 cores 0111

15 4 cores 1111

since i am utilizing an intel i7 quad-core processor on my system, my fs is set to:

[jobscheduler]
affinitymask=15

i have mine on 3 since i use dual core on my dell. I've really noticed a difference implementing some of these....you have a quad so 15 would be good for you.

Also, i don't want to see any one get in trouble at either, so this is really a happy - go lucky board. We need to tone done things just a tad - i went to pc tech class, so i'm trying to help you out here - just be patient, you'll get it sorted out - and yes, fsx can be an expensive hobby, but worth it...:d.

you are`the man. Thanks for the info.

abrussell
07-23-2009, 01:11 PM
AffinityMask=14 will run Fsx on the 3 cores that the os is not using. Seems to work well for me.
I've been running a 9600GT card for over a year and I'm very happy with the performance.
Bruce

Billy_UAL
07-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Ragtop,

If you have a core i7 is there any real perfromance boost to adding JOBSCHEDULER?

loki
07-23-2009, 07:38 PM
With SP1, FSX will use multiple cores on its own, so it shouldn't be necessary to use the jobscheduler setting any more. Some people with quad core systems have found that using the affinitymask setting can help reduce stutters.

Billy_UAL
07-23-2009, 07:40 PM
With SP1, FSX will use multiple cores on its own, so it shouldn't be necessary to use the jobscheduler setting any more. Some people with quad core systems have found that using the affinitymask setting can help reduce stutters.

Thanks loki!

RAULDK
07-25-2009, 12:38 PM
AffinityMask=14 will run Fsx on the 3 cores that the os is not using. Seems to work well for me.
I've been running a 9600GT card for over a year and I'm very happy with the performance.
Bruce

how do i setup the inffinitymask setup?
what file do i access?

Ragtopjohnny
07-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Raul, on the affinity mask thing, just change the n to 7 to run on 3 cores.

I tried it today with out Tileproxy running and full settings, and was getting around 20fps over the RI area at KSFZ with an older plane that was said to be FS2002/2004 only.

Hope these help you - I know how frustrating it can be....:)

You need to open the .cfg file. If you're running XP its in Documents and Settings/Your Folder/Application Data/Microsoft/FSX. Right click .cfg file and select open with Notepad. You can then past that info right at the top of the .cfg file. (I've forgotten VISTA since it's been a while since I used it....)

RAULDK
07-25-2009, 02:58 PM
since i am running vista 32bit premium, i will attemp the same procedure as you stated in win xp.

i am getting 24-29 fps over jfk, ny airport and 14 fps when i taxi or move around the airport.

one more question, i have read that 25 fps is the point that you really get a sense of smoothness. So if i set max fps at 25 does fsx limit my frame rate to go no higher even if it can do better than 25 fps?

Ragtopjohnny
07-25-2009, 04:04 PM
To be honest, I use unlimited, so I have no problems with that setting at all what so ever. I find my FPS drop when I limit them.

RAULDK
07-26-2009, 10:16 AM
thanks for the answer, unlimitted it is.

regards,

RAULDK
07-27-2009, 11:44 AM
raul, on the affinity mask thing, just change the n to 7 to run on 3 cores.

I tried it today with out tileproxy running and full settings, and was getting around 20fps over the ri area at ksfz with an older plane that was said to be fs2002/2004 only.

Hope these help you - i know how frustrating it can be....:)

you need to open the .cfg file. If you're running xp its in documents and settings/your folder/application data/microsoft/fsx. Right click .cfg file and select open with notepad. You can then past that info right at the top of the .cfg file. (i've forgotten vista since it's been a while since i used it....)

someone please tell me what is the exact name of the file(???.cfg) which i am to add the jobscheduler to. Also where is the location of the file?

I nned the procedure for fsx

Ragtopjohnny
07-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Oops....should have included that....

fsx.cfg is the file......sorry! :) Add jobscheduler to the top, very top of .cfg.

RAULDK
07-27-2009, 04:12 PM
I gotta be dumb today. Where is the fsx.cfg file located?

Ragtopjohnny
07-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Since you're using vista, and it's been a while since I have, you might want to do a search for fsx.cfg in the start menu thing - sorry, but I can't remember for the life of me in Vista.