PDA

View Full Version : Adding entry in aircraft.cfg

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Hi im using fs9 in vista and im trying to add an entry on my aircraft.cfg but how come the next entry i enter doesn't appear in a/c menu in fs9? anyway im using an dreamwings model dash 8-400 heres my entry,

[fltsim.0]
title=Dreamwings Dash 8 -Q400 Horizon
sim=Dash8Q400
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Horizon
checklists=
ui_manufacturer=Bombardier/Dreamwings
ui_type=Dash 8 Q400
ui_variation=Horizon Air
description=Dreamwings Dash8 Q400
atc_id=
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=Horizon
atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.1]
title=Dreamwings Dash 8 -Q400 Qantas
sim=Dash8Q400
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Qantas
checklists=
ui_type=Dash 8 Q400
ui_variation=Qantas
atc_id=
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=Qantas
atc_flight_number=

[General]
performance=Model Designer: Tommy Hansson\nFDE: John Cillis\n\nFlightcrew:\t2 Pilots and 2-3 Cabin Crew\nPax:\t70\nMax cruising speed:\t360kts\nMax certificated ceiling:\t25,000ft\nMax range with 70 passengers and reserves:\t1362nm\n\nWing span\t28.42m (93ft 3in)\nLength\t32.84m (107ft 9in)\nHeight\t8.38m (27ft 5in)\nWing area\t63.1m2 (679.0sq ft).
atc_type=Bombardier
atc_model=DHC84
editable=1

Anyway the Horizon Repaint does appear in the aircraft menu since it was the original texture that came with model but how come the Qantas does not appear on my a/c menu but according to the read me file it requires a dreamwings model which i am using...any thoughts? thanks

HoratioWondersocks
05-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Hello
You have of course remembered to put the Qantas texture folder into your DASH aircraft folder?
Andy

opaplano
05-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Are you just not seeing a "thumbnail" picture in the selection menu perhaps?

If so, just add a small jpg of it to the Quantas texture folder. Be sure it is named thumbnail.jpg

If you are running Vista, do you have your "permissions" set to allow you to edit items such as your aircraft.cfg file?

Hope that helps.

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 10:01 AM
@pugthewiffywombat

Yes i did put the Qantas texture on my Dash A/c folder.

@opaplano
Well i dont see the Qantas Aircraft it self, i do have permissions editing aircraft.cfg rest of my aircraft is fine except for this model that i cant make the aircraft out in the a/c menu in fs9...anyway let me try that putting thumbnail.jpg on my texture folder

opaplano
05-09-2009, 10:11 AM
@pugthewiffywombat

Yes i did put the Qantas texture on my Dash A/c folder.

@opaplano
Well i dont see the Qantas Aircraft it self, i do have permissions editing aircraft.cfg rest of my aircraft is fine except for this model that i cant make the aircraft out in the a/c menu in fs9...anyway let me try that putting thumbnail.jpg on my texture folder

Oops sorry - I thought you were running FSX - that does require the thuimbnail.jpg - FS2004 does not.

Question - did you edit the fltsim.1 manually or did you copy and paste that info directly from your Quantas texture download? If the texture download had a segment which was to be added to your aircraft.cfg please post it so we can compare your current cfg to it.

opaplano
05-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Also please provide the exact, complete filename of the Quantas texture you downloaded (and where you downloaded it from) so one of use can try to duplicate the problem.

I already have a Dreamwings Dash 8Q400 installed which I assume is what you have also. I just need tyo grab a copy of the texture package. :)

opaplano
05-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I did a litle further investigation and searching and located a Qantas texture here in the library - d8q4qant.zip.

I added this to my Dreamwings Dash 8-Q400 base package - which I got some time ago from Avsim.com - d8q400_malev_v1_2.zip

It works just fine for me. Unfortunately the Avsim library is offline for some major repairs right now so you would not be able able to download the base package that I have if you were so inclined.

Not sure what to advise as it all works properly for me on my XP/FS2004 setup. :confused:

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Hi opaplano,

Here's the orig a/c.cfg for the base package,

[fltsim.0]
title=Dreamwings Dash 8 -Q400 Horizon
sim=Dash8Q400
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Horizon
checklists=
ui_type=Dash 8 Q400
ui_variation=Horizon Air
atc_id=
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=Horizon
atc_flight_number=

And here's the a/c.cfg from the read me file of qantas texture

[fltsim.X]
title=Dreamwings Dash 8 -Q400 qantas
sim=Dash8Q400
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=qan
checklists=
ui_type=Dash 8 Q400
ui_variation=Qantas
description=Dreamwings Dash8 Q400 virtual qantas -NCPAINT-www.ncpaint.freezee.org
atc_id=VH-DWS
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=Qantas
atc_flight_number=

and the filename of the texture is d8q4qant.zip i got it here from the flight sim..still im trying to check whats wrong but i cant figure it out

opaplano
05-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Can you provide the file name etc. of the Base package you are using?

(and where you got it of course).

As I stated, mine works just fine with base package I have - perhaps yours is different in some less than obvious way.

opaplano
05-09-2009, 03:13 PM
PS - I am assuming of course that you made your aircraft.cfg edits with FS2004 NOT running and the problem arises when you do startup FS2004 once again.

Basic I know. but I have worked with a few folks who did not restart FS2004 after making such edits.

Jim Robinson
05-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Chris ca, is there any chance you may have other variations of the Dash 8 installed in another folder somewhere that may be using the same title= line?

Jim

opaplano
05-09-2009, 04:29 PM
I believe Jim may be on to something.

Try changing the title= line on your Qantas fltsim entry to something like

title=Dreamwings Dash 8 -Q400 qantas XX

and see if it now appears in your select aircraft list under Bombardier/Dreamwings - Dash 8 Q400.

FS2004 will not allow more than one title= line with the exact same description.

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 04:36 PM
dw8q4hz.zip is the name of the file i got it here in flightsim...yup your right my fs9 is NOT running while editing the a/c.cfg

opaplano
05-09-2009, 04:45 PM
dw8q4hz.zip is the name of the file i got it here in flightsim...yup your right my fs9 is NOT running while editing the a/c.cfg

Just tried it using the base file you specified. Works perfectly for me. Hope Jim's idea gets you up and running.

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi Jim i got 4 dash 8 q400 folders i check the title line and im sure there no duplicate for qantas

@opaplano i tried adding on the title line but still no luck...:(

opaplano
05-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi Jim i got 4 dash 8 q400 folders i check the title line and im sure there no duplicate for qantas

@opaplano i tried adding on the title line but still no luck...:(

Just to "humor" both of us, try temporarily removing all of the other Dash aircraft folders (make a temp folder and move them into it is prob the easiest way) leaving only the one you are have issues with.

Looking forward to your report after trying that.

JSkorna
05-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi,

Is you FS installed in the Programs folder? If it is, due to Vista security issues, you may be modifying the "dummy" file and not the file that FS actually reads and uses.

napamule2
05-09-2009, 06:07 PM
chris_ca,
You have in 1st (fltsim.1) section: 'texture=Qantas': folder name must be 'texture.Qantas'.
You have in 2nd (fltsim1) section: 'texture=qan': folder name must be 'texture.qan'.

I don't have this model to determaine which is 'right'. It can be either way, as long as the extension after (ie:'texture=qan', or 'texture-Qantas' is a match to what the texture folder is named. And, the name for the texture folder has to have 'texture' (then a period-NOT a comma) '.' (then texture variation) 'qan' as it is listed in (fltsim.1) section (ie: 'texture=qan' or 'texture=Qantas'). Exact spelling indeed. More like exact EXTENSION (spelling).

You can edit cfg while FS9 is running. Simply put FS9 in windowed mode (ctrl+enter), hit 'P' to pause, minimize. Then go copy cfg to desktop. Dbl click it from there, make edits, then 'SAVE AS' (not 'SAVE') and navigate to Dash 8 folder, click 'ok' and 'yes' to overide. Restore FS9 and just go load the C-182, wait 15 seconds, then go load the Dash 8 and check if new textures show. Then delete cfg on desktop. I myself would rename texture folder WITH A CAPITOL 'Q' to 'texture.Qan' just to make sure I did not not somehow switch the 'q' with a 'g' in the extension name. You'll figure it out-eventually. It's just a 'typo'. This really shows how you JUST have GOT to be more careful. Ever make an D, instead of an A, on a homework paper, because you misspelled your OWN name? I have (heehee). We had TOUGH teachers back then.
Chuck B
Napamule
PS: Just checked zip and it's supposed to be 'texture.qan' and 'texture=qan'. I would change to capitol 'Q' just to make sure it 'sticks'.

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I remove all the folders of my dash but still nothin was change...i even tried using the other basemodel from dreamwings but still no luck i dunno whats really wrong...

Jim i installed my FS in Program folder and i never had an problem editing a/c.cfg except for this one and im curious about that "dummy file" how will i know if its a dummy??

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi napamule may i know which basemodel your using?

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Wheeeww finally i made it...thank you all finally i can see the qantas livery anyway napamule i just change the q to Q and that make it work im not really sure if this is case sensitive :)

opaplano
05-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Wheeeww finally i made it...thank you all finally i can see the qantas livery anyway napamule i just change the q to Q and that make it work im not really sure if this is case sensitive :)

That must a "vista" thing then as the lower case q works fine in XP.

Glad you got it sorted out. :D

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 06:34 PM
whew finally its working thank you all for your ideas...there's an extra empty texture folder on the basepack so i just paste the texture on that folder and i use capital "Q" instead "q" and now its ok...but until now im not sure whats wrong with the model. By the way i use the basepack with the texture of SAS commuter with it i downloaded it from the dreamwings website

napamule2
05-09-2009, 06:34 PM
chris_ca,
Case sensitive? I know I am. (Just kidding). Actually have not tried changing a working cfg with multiple textures to see if it makes any difference. (Personall I don't think so, as the 'q' and the 'Q' is the same when it gets coverted to a number, which is what FS9 will use-but I could be wrong). But, DO check your keyboard, as you MAY have (somehow) switched the 'q' and the 'g' keys (wink-wink).

Glad to hear it's fixed (and by a mere 'mechanic' like me and not some high powered math wiz programer type (who MIGHT not know how to spell?-ha). Too much fun. Made my day.
Chuck B
Napamule

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 06:35 PM
That must a "vista" thing then as the lower case q works fine in XP.

Glad you got it sorted out. :D

well i didnt know that its a case sensitive...geeess it took my whole day to figure this out hehehe

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 06:59 PM
chris_ca,
Case sensitive? I know I am. (Just kidding). Actually have not tried changing a working cfg with multiple textures to see if it makes any difference. (Personall I don't think so, as the 'q' and the 'Q' is the same when it gets coverted to a number, which is what FS9 will use-but I could be wrong). But, DO check your keyboard, as you MAY have (somehow) switched the 'q' and the 'g' keys (wink-wink).

Glad to hear it's fixed (and by a mere 'mechanic' like me and not some high powered math wiz programer type (who MIGHT not know how to spell?-ha). Too much fun. Made my day.
Chuck B
Napamule
well i really dont have idea about it :) ...but im very sure that i use q not g...im still thinking whats the cause of it

opaplano
05-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Hi,

Is you FS installed in the Programs folder? If it is, due to Vista security issues, you may be modifying the "dummy" file and not the file that FS actually reads and uses.

Een though the problem has been resolved, I hope will do those of us who do not run Vista a favor by expanding on your post so we have some idea what you mean. :confused:

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Just curious i tried adding one more texture on this model but it seams its not workin at all...is there any limit of adding texture in an base model?

napamule2
05-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Opa,
I got the jist of what Jim said. 'Vista' in Spanish means 'The View' more or less. I has determined that it's 'view' is the ONLY view-your's don't count (it is a way of protecting files from being changed by hackers (or even your mother in law). It has a reputation of not letting you do edits, etc on files under the Programs folder, which FS9 is in.

Some people will install files to a dummy folder elsewhere and then when you are ALL DONE MAKING EDITS, move files to the Program files folder. After that it takes control and when you click 'Save' it will save to the dummy folder where it was before. Saving requires you do 'Save AS' and then browse to where you have the Flt Sim files and when you get there it will 'reject' your try to overwrite, etc.

The PC magazines came out with 'how-to' to MAKE Vista allow changes to files no mater where they are saved. Takes a little reading to learn,and worth printing out and keeping it handy so as to prevail. Can't do it by guessing-they made sure of that. Does no good. Chuck B
Napamule
Chris_Ca: Ok, let's see the section you're trying to add. Is it (FltSim.3)? Hope so. And NO, there is no limit to paints added. I've seen up to 24 paints. Of course your problem may also be Vista fighting you thootg and nail. Go google and read how-to 'change files in Vista'. Write it down. Fire it in-take back control.

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi Napamule,

Heres in the aircraft.cfg

[fltsim.0]
title=Dreamwings Dash 8 -Q400 Scandinavian
sim=Dash8Q400
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Scandinavian
checklists=
ui_type=Dash 8 Q400
ui_variation=Scandinavian Commuter
atc_id=
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=Scandinavian
atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.1]
title=Dreamwings Dash 8 -Q400 Qantas
sim=Dash8Q400
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Qan
checklists=
ui_type=Dash 8 Q400
ui_variation=Qantas
atc_id=
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=Qantas
atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.2]
title=Dreamwings Dash 8 -Q400 Philippines
sim=Dash8Q400
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Pal
checklists=
ui_type=Dash 8 Q400
ui_variation=Philippines
atc_id=
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=Philippines
atc_flight_number=

im 101% sure that the texture folder name is texture.Pal the fist two are ok but the 3rd one is not working i dunno whats wrong but it seems that everything is exactly whats on the first entry

napamule2
05-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Chris,
Now I need the texture folder name. It should be, according to your print out, 'texture.pal'. Is this right? Just to make sure, change the '.pal' to '.PAL'. Then do this also in (FltSim.2) section (ie: 'texture=PAL') in capitol letters. Notice no period is needed here. Just what is after the period in the texture folder name.

You notice I asked if it was (FltSim.3). That was a mistake, it of course should be a 2 not a 3. Mistake-mo.

Went Google and found good site where you can read about Vista 'permission', etc. Link is: http://www.tweakvista.com/. It's FULL of info and articles and forum type replys. Take a few days to read it-technical. WRITE DOWN INFO to use later.
Chuck B
Napamule

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Chuck,

I've notice this on the properties of aircraft.cfg after the attributes there a security note "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help this computer" and there's button on it to unblock it but its keeps on coming back?? i've check all the aircraft.cfg on my fs9 a/c folder and i only see this on my dreamwings aircraft folder...

chris_ca
05-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Chuck,
Finally i figured out why its preventing the new texture to appear in the fs9 a/c menu its the note i've notice on the properties of the aircraft.cfg...the solution i made a new file folder and i copy all the contents except for the aircraft.cfg instead i made a new one and copy all the contents on the original a/c.cfg and "save as" after that, that security note has been sorted out too...thanks for the tips now its already 4 am here i need to sleep no i'll be having a peacefull sleep now w/o thinking how to sorted that out hehehe

napamule2
05-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Chris,
Yeah, I get that 'error' message occasionally. No biggee. I just click un-block. I don't have Vista, but XP, but I have done some reading about Vista, which is why I don't have it (ha). This 'warning' is part of Window's securtiy. It's a good thing. I use Avast free version. Works good and plays nice with FltSim 9 and X, Fraps, Media Player and Movie Maker. And I don't worry about 'blocked' files and just click 'unblock' and keep going.

You can make Vista behave, and work with FltSim files. Just have to find out how. And oh, I would NOT get into trying any 'registry' changes/tricks. Not really necessary and VERY risky. Might permanently mess up things where your PC will no longer boot. Find a work-around. Find a source of information (like Google) before you do anything. Or links like prior post.
Chuck B
Napamule
Got last post just now. It's 5 pm here (PST). But since I am retired I often stay up until 4 am. Like every other day (bad habit now) or when I am working tweaking flight dynamic files (like every other day-heehee). Time flys when you're having fun. So good night Dubai. Tomorrow is a GOOD morning for sure.

JSkorna
05-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Chris,

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/isv/thread/43326201-94a7-4c5b-b490-20782f58cfda

Avechelice
05-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Hello,

[humor mode open]
Readed this small saga with a overgrowing interest :)
My conclusion:
If some of you don't have already Vista running as OS .. sure you can't wait to install it :)
Myself .. like a idiot caveman will still run WinXP ... whoa ... I'm jealous now :)
[humor mode close]

Regards.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/a/bye.gif

chris_ca
05-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for that link...now i got some additional knowlege about vista now...:D

rthrosby
05-28-2009, 12:03 PM
You need to use qan, not Qantas to identify the skin in your cfg file.
Roy Throsby.

napamule2
05-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Here is a picture of cfg sections, with a picture showing 'name' of texture folder, to illustrate how names have to be EXACT match. IE: in cfg ('texture=xx') and in folder name. Hope this helps. Just watch your spelling.
Chuck B
Napamule