PDA

View Full Version : Landing on the line

eray9s
01-05-2009, 01:33 PM
I am satisfied with handling of plane relative to speed, elevation setting descend but I land like a drunken sailor (no Offense) How can i DO better job at coming straight in I go from off the left side to off the right side and all the time I am trying to be gentle with the stick. Help appreciated.This is all w/o AP
Hellappreciated
eray9s

sirbruchie
01-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Well besides hours of practice there are a few things you can do. Are you using the Vitrual Cockpit or are you using the 2d cockpit? There is an additional trick you can use with a 2d cockpit that can help although it is not very realistic. I will assume you are using the VC.

1. Make sure that you are looking straight foward. I know that sounds funny but if your viewpoint is off center and you think it is cenetered that can cause some un explained drifting.

2. Do you have any wind set in the weather settings. If you are new and practicing I would suggest turning off the wind so that you are not fighting with that.

3. Small adjustments (as you mentioned) are important once you are generally lined up your banking and turning should be limited to just a few degrees at a time.

4. Go to the map and determine the exact runway heading. Runway 23 might actually have a heading of 235. This will help if you are looking at your instruments as a guide.

5. Another thing you can do is tune in the ILS (Istrument Landing System - you can get the frequencies from the map view for the appropriate runway) and there is a feature that will allow you to turn on a visual that displays rings or boxes forming a path to the runway.

6. Lastly if you are using a 2d panel you can put a piece of tape in the center of your monitor that you can use to help you line up on the runway.

I hope this helps and don't forget to practice, practice, practice.

ScatterbrainKid
01-05-2009, 01:59 PM
..I am trying to be gentle with the stick...

Try being gentler..:)
Aircraft are like women, some are more sensitive than others and have to be caressed and sweet-talked, whereas with others you have to be more firm and decisive..
You could try re-calibrating the joystick to reduce sensitivity, also make sure you're landing into wind.

PS- Try an easy Aircraft> Realism Setting>

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Competitons/realism.jpg

NikeHerk67
01-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Two good answers in both posts.
I might also suggest you could reduce the sensitivity of your controller as well. Setting the aileron and elevator sensitivities to the max in MSFS is more for flying planes like the Extra, where you can perform snap rolls etc, and is too sensitive for most other aircraft.

I use the CH Yoke control manager to reduce the X and Y settings to 80% elevator and 90% ailerons, but many joy sticks don't have that capibility. In that case try reducing the sensitivity sliders to half way or even to zero. Keeping the throttle to max is OK.

NikeHerk67
01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I see you beat me to the answer Kid, good advice though. :)

TurboVolvo
01-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Practice makes perfect. I have a flight saved that is just 100 miles out of the runway. I used to load it all the time to practice approach and landing. Just kept repeating one landing after another. Although I still screw up from time to time, most of my landings are spot on.

Now if you want a really hard landing? Try the aircraft carrier mission :eek:

Kurtvw
01-05-2009, 08:22 PM
You do it the same way its done in real world...

Fly a mess of patterns in small planes and work up from there... In a small plane, take off, climb to about 1000 feet above the field altitude, fly the rectangular pattern back to the other end, when you're downwind, and the approach end runway numbers are right off your wingtip, you pull the throttles back (1700 to 1500 rpm works nice in the cessna) let the airplane slow, hold your altitude until you trim out to about 65 to 70 knts...

Then let it descend at that speed using throttle to adjust your descent rate... When the runway is diaganally outside (over your shoulder), turn base, then to final...

On final, pick a spot on the runway, and try to keep that spot from moving around... if its moving down your screen then you remove power... if its creeping up your screen you add power (because you're descending too fast)..

If there is wind, you'll need to let your nose crab into the wind a little, no big deal, the runway stripe can be off center of your plane until touchdown... Just as long as your reference point is not moving.

Then, a little rudder just before touchdown to get the nose aligned (perhaps a touch of opposite aileron) and let it settle in.

JBnTX
01-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Aircraft are like women, some are more sensitive than others and have to be caressed and sweet-talked, whereas with others you have to be more firm and decisive....

Man, have I got a million questions for you!
Where should I start?

:D

deor
01-06-2009, 04:49 AM
"Lastly if you are using a 2d panel you can put a piece of tape in the center of your monitor that you can use to help you line up on the runway."

As I posted in the FS2002 forum yesterday, flying GA planes from the VC, I line up with the runway immediately above the attitude indicator.

HTH

phxflyboy
01-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Well, I can give you a somewhat costly suggestion...TripleHead2Go. I am a real life fixed wing and rotor wing pilot and have played MS Flight Sim off and on since the original versions. Nothing I've ever added on or purchased for the sim has increased my enjoyment and skills than using 3 19" digital monitors. The peripheral views that this set up gives is unequaled, no matter the size of a single monitor, IMO. I am finding that almost all of my landings are far superior, even in aircraft that I've never landed before. I just did a real time flight from Phoenix, AZ to the Turks and Caicos Islands (where my family and I vacation in the summer) with stops in Houston and Sarasota flying the Lear 45 and all of my landings were spot on.

It sounds costly but if you find the monitors on sale as I did, you can set it up for under $700. Definitely worth it.

phxflyboy

ScatterbrainKid
01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Man, have I got a million questions for you!
Where should I start?
:D

John Wayne's a good instructor-

GREEN YOUNG CAVALRY TROOPER-"Sir, there's something wrong with my horse!"
WAYNE- "I'll tell yer what's wrong with him mister, yer let him drink too much, too fast at the waterhole, and now he's no use ter yer!"
TROOPER- "B-but sir, I figgered it'd stop drinking when it'd had enough"..
WAYNE- "Son, horses are like wimmin, we have ter do their thinking for 'em"

phxflyboy
01-07-2009, 05:12 AM
J.R.

No problem. I work Sun - Wed so when my weekend starts Thursday, I'll get some pics up for you, shouldn't be too tough to get the shots you want.

And you are correct, that is an MD520N. To be exact, it is N521FB, the very first NOTAR helicopter to be delivered by MD. I learned to fly helicopters in the NOTAR's and have around 600 hrs in them. Now I fly AS350B3's and Augusta A119 Koala's, both far superior in many aspects but the NOTAR's were sure fun to fly, especially with the doors off.

I used to have an MD520N repaint for FS2002 I believe. At one time I tried contacting the author of it to have him do a new version for FS9 or FSX but he was too busy. If you know of anyone who does repaints I can gladly provide as many high quality photos if they would do one.

If you don't see those screen shots show up here in the next few days, PM me and I'll get them to you.

phxflyboy

Shrikharan
01-08-2009, 07:28 AM
"Lastly if you are using a 2d panel you can put a piece of tape in the center of your monitor that you can use to help you line up on the runway."

Deor, I think using the axis indicator to indicate the direction of the nose tip of your aircraft is better option.

View -> Axis indicator. I use the small V.

Regards

Shri