PDA

View Full Version : FSX Acceleration and DIRECTX problem

HIGHPOX1
11-25-2008, 09:42 AM
I installed FSX Acceleration on a WIN XP SP3 system. My version of DirectX was 9.0b, and with FSX that ran just fine. After the install, FSX would not startup, stating that my version of DirectX was incompatible. It also said I needed up download the latest version. Here's the kicker. For some reason I cannot download 9.0c. It just won't work. I downloaded DXWEBSETUP from MSFT's own website, and when I click that it just times out. I have been online with MSFT help but that is totally useless. I noted another forum that said someone else had the same problem but already had 9.0c installed, so I'm not sure if that is the solution anyway. My video card is a PNY 8800 GTS 512 Nvidia chip (new also), and I have 1 gig ram. I uninstalled FSX Acceleration and now my FSX runs fine again, so I know it has to do w/ the Acceleration pack. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

bgets
11-25-2008, 10:09 AM
If you want to see what version of Direct X you are running you can go to "start" "run" and type in dxdiag. It will give you all the info you need.
Bob G.

Alexander
11-25-2008, 11:52 AM
DirectX 10 is only for Windows Vista, not for eXPperience.

bgets
11-25-2008, 12:13 PM
http://www.techmixer.com/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp/

PhilTaylor
11-25-2008, 12:49 PM
http://www.techmixer.com/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp/

uh, no.

see

http://alkyproject.blogspot.com/

and I quote

"
It is with great sadness that I announce the closing of Falling Leaf Systems, LLC. We set out over a year ago to provide users of both "old and unsupported" as well as "alternative" Operating Systems the ability to run the latest games for the PC. Unfortunately, Falling Leaf Systems was unable to achieve that goal.
"
repeat "unable to achieve that goal".

It could never have delivered what it claimed anyways, see
http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/06/28/dx10-on-xp-round-2.aspx

HIGHPOX1
11-25-2008, 01:16 PM
I appreciate the input on DirectX10, but that wasn't the problem. The problem is FSX Acceleration wants a newer version of DirectX while loaded in WIN XP. According to MSFT's own website, the requirements for FSX Accel in WIN XP is DirectX 9.0b. I already have that verison loaded, so I am confused as to why it wants more than that.

SteveB
11-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Sounds like some corruption going on. Have you run a chkdsk lately? If not, I would go out to a command prompt and verify your drive's integrity. If all is well, there, reinstall Acceleration. Once it is installed, download and install the newest driver for your video card. Once that is done, try installing DX 9b (or c, doesn't matter). If this works, then run your video card driver install one last time.

If none of this works, it gets even more fun.... You'll need to uninstall your video driver, then try reinstalling DX 9b/c. Then reinstall your video driver.

What ever you do, always apply your video drivers after installing/reinstalling Dx.

loki
11-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Try downloading the full DirectX update.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=886ACB56-C91A-4A8E-8BB8-9F20F1244A8E&displaylang=en

HIGHPOX1
11-25-2008, 07:28 PM
I tried your suggestion and downloaded the full version. Get this. I re-booted in SAFE mode and ran DXSETUP. Worked fine. Copied the files and said I was good to go. I ran DXDIAG (still in safe mode) and it said I had 9.0c loaded. OK. So I re-booted back in normal mode. Ran DXDIAG, bam version 9.0b! How can that be? My DXDIAG program is the one coming from system32, so I know it's seeing the system. I am really confused.

SteveB
11-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I tried your suggestion and downloaded the full version. Get this. I re-booted in SAFE mode and ran DXSETUP. Worked fine. Copied the files and said I was good to go. I ran DXDIAG (still in safe mode) and it said I had 9.0c loaded. OK. So I re-booted back in normal mode. Ran DXDIAG, bam version 9.0b! How can that be? My DXDIAG program is the one coming from system32, so I know it's seeing the system. I am really confused.

Well, you've got a fun task now.... Your going to have to uninstall DX completely. This "could" cause some system instability, in fact, it could cause it not to boot normally. Safe mode will work regardless. None the less, uninstall DX AND your video driver. Reboot, reinstall DX (hopefully in a normal boot mode), reinstall video driver again. Let us know if that works.

abrussell
11-26-2008, 01:32 PM
The problem may be caused by items left behind from the uninstalls( folders, registry entries, etc.) Revo Uninstaller will delete all the leftover bits and pieces before you reinstall. Before installing new drivers you should use Driver Sweeper to
make sure the old one is completely uninstalled.
Bruce

HIGHPOX1
11-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Well, I tried one radical thing. Since the WIN XP service packs include DirectX, I reinstalled SP3 on top of the old one. My version of DirectX still stayed at 9.0b, which is weird (it should have been seeing 9.0c), but I installed FSX Acceleration, and this time it runs just fine. I'll take it. My next step was actually to move up to Vista, not remove all the old programs and OS. I'm not sure how happy everyone is with FSX and Vista, but that is another forum. Thanks all for the help and happy T-day.