PDA

View Full Version : Side views in 2D cockpit...

kennyhall
10-31-2008, 08:20 AM
Using the default FSX aircraft in 2D cockpit view you can see various angles of the panel by using the hat switch - e.g. front-right giving an angled view of the co-pilot's side.

Aliasing the default (say, B737) panel to an add-on aircraft this function is not available - in 2D only the main panel is available and no other aspects are shown.

Is there a way to rectify this???

The 737-800 panel.cfg shows this...
[Window Titles]
window00=Main Panel
window01=Radio Stack
Window02=GPS
Window03=Throttle Panel
Window04=Overhead Panel
Window05=Trim Panel
Window06=PFD
Window07=MFD
Window08=EICAS
Window09=Mini Panel

[VIEWS]
VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=MAIN_PANEL,GPS_PANEL,THROTTLE_PANEL,OVERHEAD_PANEL

VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=-1.000, 0.000, 0.000
--------------------------------------------------
Strangely, there are no references to the side views that ARE available!

In FS9 there would be various views shown as "front-left; front-right" etc. and by using the hat switch you could see those variations.

Using FS9 panels in FSX with "views" identified in the panel cfg file only the main view is available as above!

Confused? I know what I mean ;)

phillroath
10-31-2008, 09:44 AM
FSX dropped the use of bitmaps to display the side type views. Instead it relies on the virtual cockpit and that is what you see even in the 2D when looking around.

When you alias another acft to the 737, only the panel is available because the interior model did not load. You can get it, but it involves making a copy of the 737 interior model and also the model you are using must be compiled via the FSX SDK to be able to accept that model.

Phill

Edit: Boy, my keyboard is not spelling very good this morning. :)

kennyhall
10-31-2008, 01:05 PM
FSX dropped the use of bitmaps to display the side type views. Instead it relies on the virtual cockpit and that is what you see even in the 2D when looking around.

When you alias another acft to the 737, only the panel is available because the interior model did not load. You can get it, but it involves making a copy of the 737 interior model and also the model you are using must be compiled via the FSX SDK to be able to accept that model.

Phill

Edit: Boy, my keyboard is not spelling very good this morning. :)

Phill,

thanks for the information and reasons why I can't make it work:confused:

Yet another "change" in FSX for "no apparent reason".

Not being of the (really!) technical persuasion I will just forego the side views from 2D with freeware add-ons.

Thanks again.

Ken

n4gix
10-31-2008, 04:12 PM
There was a perfectly valid reason for dropping the static 2d "side views." The new rendering system simply doesn't support them...