PDA

View Full Version : Crash to desktop problem

rvc68
05-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Can anyone tell me what causes this problem? Sometimes when I am loading a plane or change a view of a plane the hour glass thing (shows loading) continues to work for period of time and then FSX crashes to desktop? Thanks.

Paxx
05-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Need to know the system specs.
What is the make/model computer?
What CPU do you have?
What Video Card do you have?
What driver version for the video card are you running?
How much RAM is installed?
What operating system?
Which service packs for FSX do you have installed?

rvc68
05-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the response.

I have a
Dell XPS 700 computer
Intel Core2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13GHz, 1066FSB) DualCore & 2MB cache
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
Video driver 163.75
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
Windows XP
SP3 (just installed but had the problem with SP2 also)

Hope this is enough information.

lungho
05-09-2008, 09:16 PM
You forgot to add what FSX service packs you've installed. This will help Paxx and other's who are trying to help you.

From my personal experience, I had a lot of CDT's after I installed Acceleration over used install of FSX. I ended up doing a clean install of FSX and then adding Acceleration. I still get a crash every now and then but it's nowhere near as bad it used to be.

Paxx
05-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Yeah FSX service packs installed would be helpful also. I would try installing the 169.21 drivers for your vid card from the Nvidia website located here (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_169.21_whql.html).

Does this happen with add-on aircraft only or the default ones also?

rvc68
05-10-2008, 12:33 AM
I installed FSX SP2 today but like I said I had this problem before with FSX SP1 installed so that wouldn't be the problem I don't think. I have tried the 169.21 driver but did not get good results with it so I went back to 163.75 also, I couldn't get the resolution I had with 163.75 ( 1600 x 900 32) as it was not offered with that driver. I primarily use add on shareware aircraft so I am not sure about the default ones. I do not want to install Acceleration hear of too many problems with it. Does this shed any light on my problem?

rvc68
05-10-2008, 01:01 AM
Man, I just tried to use FSX and when my default flight has loaded I tried to change the plane (wanted to try a default plane) I get that hour glass problem and crash to desktop.

joejam2
05-10-2008, 02:07 AM
I do not want to install Acceleration hear of too many problems with it.

It has more to do with SP2.

Paxx
05-10-2008, 02:23 AM
I installed FSX SP2 today but like I said I had this problem before with FSX SP1 installed so that wouldn't be the problem I don't think. I have tried the 169.21 driver but did not get good results with it so I went back to 163.75 also, I couldn't get the resolution I had with 163.75 ( 1600 x 900 32) as it was not offered with that driver. I primarily use add on shareware aircraft so I am not sure about the default ones. I do not want to install Acceleration hear of too many problems with it. Does this shed any light on my problem?

Ok so as of now you have sp1 and sp2 installed for FSX, correct? The use of add-on aircraft can and does cause this problem unless they are said to be compatible with sp1, sp2, or both.

Have you saved an add-on aircraft as the default flight aircraft you load at first? I ask because your second statement seemed to imply so. If so what is it and the zip file name you downloaded to get it.

If you have saved an add-on as your default flight aircraft that may very well be the problem. If so open FSX, don't load your default flight, first go to free flight and setup a flight with a default aircraft and then save that scenario as your default flight. After you do this close FSX normaly without flying. Then re-open FSX and try your new default flight with default aircraft. If you get a successful load and then a successful flight the add-on default flight aircraft was most likely not compatible with FSX, sp1, sp2.

Something to try.

barty
05-10-2008, 09:03 AM
It has more to do with SP2.

X2.

There is a known issue (to us, anyway) with SP2 and Nvidia drivers. Unless you run in windowed mode, FSX has a nasty habit of crashing back to the desktop at random, and about 90% of the time you try to open something in one of the menus.

rvc68
05-11-2008, 02:30 AM
I Just deleted SP2, too much of a hastle at least now I can run FSX. I am still curious why I get that hour glass thing (then CTD) even with SP1. It doesn't happen all the time but when I change view mostly. I will try a default plane for a while and see if I still get it. I have so many shareware planes I hate tio think I cannot use them even with SP1.
It seems to me I had this a few years back and there was a fix for it but I just can't recall what it was but somebody told me what it was.

nigelgrant
05-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Check out your PSU and that it provides enough 12v supply for your video card. There is a string of messages over at the AVSIM hardware forum under my name explaining my crashing problems and the solution
Nigel
Vancouver

nigelgrant
05-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Sorry, should be the CTD forum at AVSIM
Nigel

rvc68
05-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Thank you for the information but I could not find the posts you mention at AVSIM, don't know if I am looking in the wrong place or not but I did a search also and came up with nothing. Appreciate the assistance.

barty
05-13-2008, 08:35 AM
It is a sub-forum of the FSX forum there. Open the FSX forums, and look at the sub-forum list at the top of the topic listing.

rvc68
05-13-2008, 01:11 PM
If I read your comments right in the AVSIM forum the problem is related to flying the sim in full screen mode, is that correct? If so I wonder what can be done to correct that issue, I don't particularly like flying in the windows mode? My problem is not as frequent as yours appeared to be and since I deleted SP2 I have not had a repeat so far. I really don't believe my problem is a heat issue.

barty
05-13-2008, 01:22 PM
That is correct. Mine, along with several others' main issue is trying to access the menus when in full screen mode when running SP2. It seems isolated to nVidia video cards.

To say mine was frequent was an understatement. It wasn't even usable in full-screen mode with SP2 if I even touched the menu bar. Even in windowed mode it would still crash once out of every 4-5 times I ran the sim. After I removed SP2, I can only recall having 1-2 crashes, which were probably related to some bad RAM that I have since swapped out.

MongooseMike
05-13-2008, 02:01 PM
I recently re-installed the Xpack and SP2 and started having the ctd issues yet once again. After going to windowed mode, I have eliminated the ctd's, knock on wood! As mentioned, it does appear to be a Nvidia issue.
I also have several other graphics issues with SP2 that will probably dictate that I un-install the Xpack again which is a little bit frustrating.
Or maybe it's time to go back to an ATI card. I can't remember any issues with all the ATI cards I ever owned.

BOtten
05-13-2008, 02:38 PM
I recently re-installed the Xpack and SP2 and started having the ctd issues yet once again. After going to windowed mode, I have eliminated the ctd's, knock on wood! As mentioned, it does appear to be a Nvidia issue.
I also have several other graphics issues with SP2 that will probably dictate that I un-install the Xpack again which is a little bit frustrating.
Or maybe it's time to go back to an ATI card. I can't remember any issues with all the ATI cards I ever owned.

What came first -- the chicken or the egg? Let's see: your card works fine without SP2, but it is ONLY when you install SP2 that the problem occurs. I don't understand the logic of it being an NVIdia issue. Sure the NVidia cards have it now that SP2 is here, but those same cards ran fine with SP1. Wonder what SP2 changes that causes an issue with the NVidia cards?

bill

Kratogen
08-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Ok so as of now you have sp1 and sp2 installed for FSX, correct? The use of add-on aircraft can and does cause this problem unless they are said to be compatible with sp1, sp2, or both.

Have you saved an add-on aircraft as the default flight aircraft you load at first? I ask because your second statement seemed to imply so. If so what is it and the zip file name you downloaded to get it.

If you have saved an add-on as your default flight aircraft that may very well be the problem. If so open FSX, don't load your default flight, first go to free flight and setup a flight with a default aircraft and then save that scenario as your default flight. After you do this close FSX normaly without flying. Then re-open FSX and try your new default flight with default aircraft. If you get a successful load and then a successful flight the add-on default flight aircraft was most likely not compatible with FSX, sp1, sp2.

Something to try.
I have just started having this crash to desktop problem after I downloaded a POSKY 737 and saved it as the default A/C. My issue is that when FSX loads, it opens in the "Pilot Records" window, and when I click on the "Free Flight" tab is when the game freezes and crashes to desktop. So I can't go in and change the default A/C. Any ideas? Ive got FSX + Acceleration installed.
-Josh

Paxx
08-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Try deleting or renaming your fsx.cfg file and letting FSX rebuild a new one upon next startup.

Kratogen
08-13-2009, 11:45 PM
I was able to open the missions page, load a mission in the ultralight, saved it as the default flight, and now can access "free flight" again. The problem must lie with the POSKY 737 being set as default A/C.
-J

abrussell
08-14-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm not familiar with the POSKY, but I have read that some developers of complex aircraft recommend that you use a default aircraft in your default flight. After the default is loaded, then switch to the addon aircraft.
Bruce