PDA

View Full Version : Is the Bible Inerrant? What about science?

joea
08-29-2002, 09:44 AM
Well how about a look at this link:
http://www.new-ostrog.org/question7.html
and this one:
http://www.new-ostrog.org/question9.html
Seems if time is not a limitation of God He could do anything he wanted.
Science is not inerrant but self-correcting, the best description we can give given the current knowledge of the moment, science can only go so far we all need some kind of philosophy to answer this. Just a note St. Basil the Great one of the Greek Fathers of the Church wrote the 6 days were six ages and it was understood this way in the Hebrew tradition.
Joe Apostolidis
Supporter of FS, quality add-ons, and real aviation
I Fly all planes eVerywhere, Very Fun Recreation

drake1999
08-29-2002, 10:46 AM
Yes, I did read your link : )

I have not read a book that covers the Scientific facts as this Video does.

I donít know why you canít link to the site. Except that you do not have REAL PLAYER installed.
You may download Real Player from this site, this is a Freeware versionÖ

http://forms.real.com/netzip/getrde5_new_look.html?h=207.188.7.150&f=windows/RealOnePlayerV2Beta.exe&p=RealOne+Player&j2re=false&tagtype=ie&type=dl

I also have a link which is only AUDIO, perhaps you can at least hear the discuss.

http://www.drdino.com/cse.asp?pg=mp3

Drake1999
Over and out

tailboom
08-29-2002, 11:10 AM
From a believing observer, much of certain sciences busy themselves with the purpose of disproving the Bible. Else why the BILLIONS of tax dollars to get to Mars, etc...?

News flash...Big Bang creates neat little balls spinning around
bigger balls, in neat little orbits.

Funny how the assumptions that proved carbon dating are being re-thunk.

There will always be a 'missing link'.

The Bible will never be disproven, but one great and terrible day it will be proven FACT.

...Hizzoner P. Wigley Esq. P.C.
:-lol http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d5da9c5238f33e0.jpg :-lol

Meet 'Infidelicus Extraordinarus'...Hizzoner

bhebert
08-29-2002, 11:19 AM
After seeing some of my relatives, I am beginning to rethink the "missing link" theory. :-lol

Brent

mb505
08-29-2002, 04:22 PM
Why spend billions on going to Mars? Its certainly not to disprove god. Science makes no statements on the existance of god, it simply makes no attempt to prove God because it cant.

Whether you like it or not, you are a consumer of science and the advances that come out of such expeditions. Kind of ironic that you are using a computer to make your point considering it is a product of science. Even more ironic is that the physics studied by the likes of NASA and other scientific organizations are why there is flight to simulate in the first place.

Let me ask you this. Where will you go first if you get sick or in some horrible accident? The hospital or church? My guess is you will go to the hospital first and church second. Why? Because you are a consumer of science and you belive in and trust that science has the ability to make you better. Right?

Think about it...
mb505

tailboom
08-29-2002, 04:38 PM
LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-02 AT 04:43PM (EDT)[p]Read it again, if you need to. I said some sciences, didn't I??

Every utterance of the 'spacemen' is intent on proving their thoeries. EVERY one of 'em. Top of the list is life elsewhere.
When folks in this nation are hungry and jobless, I think it's idiotic.

You don't mind if I think that do you?

Stuff like computers were developed more for weaponry, than bouncing 'round on the moon. Don't ferget who we were racing into space, a sworn enemy. An enemy that swore that they would BURY us. It wasn't all twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are....

Now that episode (Cold War) is over, guess why they're wasting billions now....

...Hizzoner P. Wigley Esq. P.C.
Meet 'Infidelicus Extraordinarus'...aka...Hizzoner

Erick_Cantu
08-29-2002, 05:12 PM
Craig, do you want to know why we realy do it? We do it because it's there, sure, the military loves the opportunity but the guys who go up there and do the job do it because they want to know. What's beyond the Atlantic? What does the world look like from the top of Mt. Everest? Is it possible to make a rotary-wing aircraft? We do it because God gave us a built in sense of curiousity. And a sense of reason (which I rarely see used). I have yet to see a branch of science that is intent on disproving the Bible, there are some indviduals, but not an entire branch! You'll say evolution first, yes, but when you realize that evolution states nothing about the origins of man, you begin t see why it doesn't say anything abou tthe Bible period. Evolution provides the basis for the theory that man came from Apes, yes, but evolution itself merely states:

When you place a being into a new environment it will adapt.

Did that say anything about God? No. In fact, I can prove the theory of evolution easily. I am inside with my AC on. If I step outside, I sweat because it's a bleeding furnace out there. I just 'evolved' on a small scale, by sweating I adapt to the hot environment by cooling down. Stimulus, reaction, result. I said nothing about God there, except for the fact that I thank God when I step back into my air conditioned apartment!

On a larger scale...I moved from the LA area to Central MN. There was a lot of adapting there, and that constitutes the theory of evolution on a several year several thousand mile long scale. No disproving of God there, in fact no mention of it, until I again thank God we arrived safely!

This reminds me, that I should probably read the Bible more, but when it comes down to it, I am a very scientific person. On the other hand I do believe in God, that there is a God watching my a$$, and that be it rhough the big bang (which, if you read through the theory itself, doesn't say anything about God not doing it either, it just says at some point something happened and the universe was born, and that somehow things came to be the way they were, gravitational pull seems likely, but how do you think the laws of physics got there in the first place?) or not, there is a whole universe out there to explore...to see what's there. To communicate with other beings not of our own species, and to also simply admre the view.

My point, and I do have one, is that religion and science are there to enrich our lives equally. One provides an understanding of the other and vice-versa. They are not there to attack and destroy each other, they're there to compliment each other (for example, when you're in a crash and miraculously survive, you can attribute it to the science behind the construction of the aircraft and God's decision to not have you die today!). Unfortunately most people don't see it that way, for whatever reason they wish and that's their problem not mine. I prefer to let them stew in their own ignorance.

-E

[font size=1]
FLIGHTFX POLICY
1.) We design for reality, not for idealism.
Thus, you will not see virtual cabins on our aircraft. You can not see inside the real thing anyway, unless you are looking into the sun. You will find virtual cockpits but they will not be visible from outside for the same reason.
2.) We design for people with real computers. Thusly, we will not waste polygons on superfluous parts. We will use a texture when there is no noticeable difference between it and a group of performance wasting parts. We will model our aircraft efficiently. If you do not like it, too bad.
3.) We will give you the latest features, but we WILL NOT sacrifice visual accuracy to implement them. Accuracy comes before eye candy.[/font size]

[link:www.sgair.net/FlightFX/|http://www.cableone.net/stewart-global/hosting/erick/sigs/sonic1.gif]

tailboom
08-29-2002, 05:21 PM
Nuth'n wrong with science. God gave us a brain, and plainly expected us to use it.

And yes, if it's there, we'll be 'agoin. But, I think a manned trip to Mars is pointless, and exravagantly expensive.

In my opinion. Of course no one asks my opinion...

....Hizzoner P. Wigley Esq. P.C.

Erick_Cantu
08-29-2002, 05:25 PM
Oh, I agree, our only interest in Mars is the commercialization of it. Same with ISS. What I wish for us to do...is find a way to travel to the stars, to meet other species. To really see what's out there because a robot can't tell us with human emotion which is what really matters!

-E

[font size=1]
FLIGHTFX POLICY
1.) We design for reality, not for idealism.
Thus, you will not see virtual cabins on our aircraft. You can not see inside the real thing anyway, unless you are looking into the sun. You will find virtual cockpits but they will not be visible from outside for the same reason.
2.) We design for people with real computers. Thusly, we will not waste polygons on superfluous parts. We will use a texture when there is no noticeable difference between it and a group of performance wasting parts. We will model our aircraft efficiently. If you do not like it, too bad.
3.) We will give you the latest features, but we WILL NOT sacrifice visual accuracy to implement them. Accuracy comes before eye candy.[/font size]

[link:www.sgair.net/FlightFX/|http://www.cableone.net/stewart-global/hosting/erick/sigs/sonic1.gif]

tailboom
08-29-2002, 05:40 PM
You say that you believe in God. Do you believe that as the Bible states, there is an enemy of man?

If so, and if the Bible is true, who would have an interest in making people believe in 'ET'? And why?

Same old reason present since the beginning, deception.

....Hizzoner P. Wigley Esq. P.C.

Ihor
08-29-2002, 06:58 PM
The evil Real Player is the Devil's tool.
It's spyware.

Biff
08-30-2002, 11:11 AM
How would the belief or rather the statistical probability that 'ET' exists favor any enemy of man? :?

joea
08-31-2002, 08:17 AM
Craig, I think you and Erick both have good points. I'll take angels over LGM thank you. I pity those folks who worship UFOs anyway. Erick is right no conflict between science and religion IMHO. I do have to figure out how to install realplayer at Uni so I can see those videos, I'm curious. I also want to see if I can find a link online to a book by a Christian (Orthodox) theologian discussing modern physics and Christianity. Well, since eveyone else is free to display their faith philosophy or scepticism I may as well too.
Joe Apostolidis
Supporter of FS, quality add-ons, and real aviation
I Fly all planes eVerywhere, Very Fun Recreation