PDA

View Full Version : Offset Localizer

TheShepherd
03-20-2002, 06:08 AM
Can anyone explain to me how an offset localizer approach works - what corrections to heading need to be made etc, i.e at Innsbruck

I just can't get my head round it

Thanks

Nick

gmac
03-20-2002, 07:19 AM
Nick, this is kind of a "generic" definition for a offset localizer, its actually called a LDA approach. The Localizer Directional Aid (LDA) is an elcectronic beam that is used to guide an aircraft to a specific point. It works similar to the localizer beam on an ILS. Unlike the ILS, the LDA is not alingned with the runway. You fly the beam just as you would the ILS loc portion, however when you are clear of the clouds or adequate visual reference is available you abandon the course guidance and execute a "sidestep" maneuver to the runway of intended landing. The approach minimums for the LDA are higher than a straight in ILS approach. Hope it helps a litttle.
McFly

Silverblade
03-20-2002, 07:30 AM
I might add that the reason for offsets is usually because of some obstacle or ground related interference with a straight-in approach, (e.g., Tower, hill, tall building, ILS glideslope signal reflection, etc.)

San Diego has one because of a 3 or 4 story parking garage built near the end of the runway.

Silverblade

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3c911ccd439d9f5d.jpg