PDA

View Full Version : How to get View Panning with FSX

GeorgeW
09-24-2007, 01:40 PM
How can I get smooth panning of the cockpit view with FSX? By that I am referring to moving the outside scenery around (up, down, left, right) while in the standard cockpit view. The virtual cockpit mode links outside scenery together with everything in the cockpit, but doesn’t allow the pilot to see the outside scenery views they may want to see. With FS9 and FS2002 the “secret” was/is to modify the “.cfg” file under “(CONTROLS)”. The hat switch on my joystick (Microsoft Force Feedback 2) then provided the desired smooth control beautifully.

The FS9/FS2002 solution was/is to add the following two cfg lines under (CONTROLS): “pan_in_cockpit_mode=1” and “stick_sensitivity_mode=0”. I have tried it in the FSX.cfg file, but it didn’t do the job.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

GeorgeW

Calb
09-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX. Open the file, Cameras.CFG with Notepad (or some such text editor.

In the first definition, (CameraDefinition.001), scroll down to:

PanPbhAdjust = Ordinal <<<< change this to read Swivel
PanPbhReturn = True <<<<<<< change this to read False

The line "pan_in_cockpit_mode=1" not required but leave the stick_sensitivity_mode=0 in there.

Cal

GeorgeW
09-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks very much, Cal, for the very helpful input. Your instructions worked just fine. Now, I feel that I can move on to explore, plan, and enjoy the many features of FSX!

And, for some reason, with my PC the path to Cameras.CFG is a bit different. I don't know why, or care that much, either as long as I know what to search for. My path is C:\Users\(UserName)\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Cameras. Am wondering if it has something to do with the OS (Vista Ultimate) my PC came with. I will say that all those security settings with Vista have been a real hurdle to get over.

Thanks, again.

George

simman
09-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Cal I tried what you said but it didn't change anything on mine. What did I do wrong? I went to the first camera definition and changed it to swivel and false in the next line like you said.

Don

GeorgeW
09-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Don,

My response to Cal, above, doesn't tell that it took me a while to locate and modify the correct file. Since my path is different than Cal's I did a search to find Cameras.cfg. Two file icons showed up. As I recall they looked quite similar. Clicking on each I got the same list - about 4 pages in Notepad. So I made Cal's changes on one of the lists (and saved them, of course). Activating FSX and in cockpit mode I did not get the desired results. Then I went back and clicked on the other icon - got the identical list in Notepad. After entering & saving the recommended changes, then reactivating FSX I did get the desired panning in cockpit mode. I'm not too sure, but think maybe one of the icons was for the desktop and didn't really change the FSX files.

Hope this helps at least a little. I understand well your interest in being able to pan the views outside the cockpit. That capability has always seemed fundamental to enjoying Microsoft's flight simulators. Can't understand why they don't just put it in there for everybody.

George

Calb
09-30-2007, 03:19 AM
George,

Aha! I didn't realize there is also one in the main FSX folder.

As for the location -- mine is under C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX, the same as you but I substituted "<User Name>" for the benefit of those people who changed the default name "User" to something else when they installed Windows and (of course) they can't find the folder, "User".

I, too, have always liked the pan capability and I *never* use VC's.

Hope Don got his straightened out.

Cal

simman
09-30-2007, 06:06 AM
Nope I just tried it again and it still doesn't work. I am either doing something wrong or ?????????? I have pan and return twice for both in the first section. Does that seem right?

Don

napamule2
10-01-2007, 10:31 AM
This might not be it, or maybe it qualifies as 'too simple', but you did not include the '<<<<<' characters after entries, did you? That would cause it to not work. Or at least the second line. Remove everything after 'Swivel', and 'True', Save (not save as), and try it again.
Chuck B
napamule

llivaudais
10-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Don,
Remember, it's only a computer and a program - sometimes things just don't work right (like when my joystick "lost" right rudder for the whole session; I thought it was the stick "going out" but the next day, all was normal).

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend going to Settings > Controls > Buttons-Keys. If you have customized any settings, record them and then select RESET DEFAULTS. See if this restores your tophat control. On occasion, even though the settings appear correct, something is amiss and the reset-to-default has fixed issues for others in the past. If this does work, restore any mods you had previously and re-check.

Panning is a big part of the total presentation; I hope you get it resolved soon.

Loyd

simman
10-02-2007, 05:10 AM
Oh I can pan fine in virtual cockpit. It's just when I tried to do this change for the 2d cockpit that it won't work. I have a pan and I have a snap and both are in the first definition. I guess I will just stop trying that.

Don

CaptainTower
10-02-2007, 10:38 AM
>Thanks very much, Cal, for the very helpful input. Your
>instructions worked just fine. Now, I feel that I can move on
>to explore, plan, and enjoy the many features of FSX!
>
>And, for some reason, with my PC the path to Cameras.CFG is a
>bit different. I don't know why, or care that much, either as
>long as I know what to search for. My path is
>C:\Users\(UserName)\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Cameras.
>Am wondering if it has something to do with the OS (Vista
>Ultimate) my PC came with. I will say that all those security
>settings with Vista have been a real hurdle to get over.
>
>Thanks, again.
>
>George

Hi George,

The path is different on your computer because you are using Windows Vista. That makes 2 of us, now. ;-)

Tim

------------------------------------
Intel Core2 Duo E6400 2.13 GHz
3 GB DDR 400 MHz RAM
BFG Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT OC
256 MB GDDR3 PCI Express Video
250 GB SATA 7200 RPM Hard drive
Windows Vista Home Premium