PDA

View Full Version : pilot view angle in the cockpit

normcrapster
11-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Has anyone else noticed how it is no longer possible to 'raise the seat' in the cockpit view? Unlike any other FS version before it, FSX raises and lowers BOTH the seat and the panel, with Shift-Enter and Shift-Backspace respectively, in such a way that the pilot view angle over the panel does not change at all. It is nearly impossible to taxi or to fly the Kingair VFR using the cockpit view with the top of the panel where it is, yet it is even more unrealistic to 'W' the panel out of the way. The IFR panel in the Kingair is ridiculous - it is impossible to make a transition from IFR to visual to land because you cannot see the runway at all. Some other aircraft have the problem too, if less severely.

I realize that Microsoft is pushing VCs with FSX, but this is nuts!

Does anyone know a way to change the pilot's cockpit view angle in such a way that the panel does not block the forward view?

NC

wolftg
11-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Yeah we all got used to the last couple releases, you have to keep some things the same!!!!!!

lnuss
11-14-2006, 08:43 PM
There are commands for the 2D cockpit, but I don't recall them, offhand. They're in the kneeboard, and you can ALWAYS find what commands are assigned to in Options/Settings/Controls. Many commands are available that are unassigned, and some assignments are different from previous versions.

[HR]
http://home.comcast.net/~lfn3/Cub_Pix/LarryCub03_s.jpg http://home.comcast.net/~lfn3/Peg_Abq/SlplnN7590Mklfn_s.jpg
Larry N.

llivaudais
11-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Hi Norm,

'scuse me for just copying my reply to a previous poster asking the same question yesterday...

Control+Q is the adjustment that "tilts" the view downward so you can see better. This is a PAN type adjustment; HOLD the keys til it moves to where you want it. Shift+Control+Q to raise.

Several of the FSX aircraft have a special low-profile panel for Visual landing - The BARON and (I think) the King Air. Press W to cycle through those alternates.

You can also adjust the view using this technique from previous versions:

Just below the initial list of panel windows in the panel.cfg, add the line

[VIEWS]
VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=5.0, 0.0, 0.0 // adjust parameter 1 as needed (degrees)

and this will permanently tilt the view down by 5 degrees. Customize for each AC you want to modify.

Hope this helps

Loyd

ghenry540
11-14-2006, 10:07 PM
You can probably do it from the 2D panel. To get to the 2D panel, bring up the panel view and press the A key until you get to the 2D panel. You can cycle through all the different views by using the A key.

Atlanticmoe
11-14-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure why this doesnt work for you, in the vc view Shift-Enter and Shift-Backspace raises and lowers the view. You can either see more of the panel or just the very top. Maybe I'm not reading your post very well. When youre all lined up on final and dont need the panel that much anymore just hit shift and enter and the panel will drop down giving you a bigger out the window view.

Moe

dante53
11-16-2006, 12:34 PM
You are right - it work in VC. But thats it.
It does not work in 2D cockpit.

I have not tried the CNTR+Q yet, but I will.

brgds Dante

FITZY
11-16-2006, 07:45 PM
IMO this is another thing MS broke that did not need fixing. The keyboard commands or other assignments you might make seem to work in the side views, but not straight ahead, or they revert to default when you look ahead. Or in some aircraft it sort of works and in other it doesn't. I have had mixed results, and just tried the DC-3 where it did not work at all straight ahead. I think I had the same results yesterday with the C-208, which seemed like an IFR panel. Maybe this is why MS felt compelled to add the semi-transparent panel option. Hell-oh-oh....

dporter
11-17-2006, 12:26 AM
I have the same problem. Raising/lowering the seat simply does not work in the 2D cockpit forward view. It works in the side views, which is not much help, but does not allow you to change your viewing height over the panel to see the runway.

I tried reassigning the keys with no luck. Works fine in VC.

Another issue I noticed is that you can only use the up/down/left/right hat switch positions to changes external views, whereas before the diagonal hat positions (up/right, down/left, etc.) were also functional allowing you to smoothly pan around the aircraft.

Trying to assign Pan Up/Right to the hat switch does not work.

Anybody have a fix for the 2D cockpit seat height adjustment (simply tilting the view downward is not the same as raising your view over the panel to keep the correct perspective)?

Walouigi
11-18-2006, 11:20 AM
the CTL+ Q and SHIFT+CTL+Q doesnt work also
Walouigi

Amtran618
11-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Yeah they fubared the seat view bad, worked well for the past, well since fs98 anyway, if it aint broke DONT FIX IT microsoft.

FS2004 is the best version IMO, shift and enter to raise the seat worked awsome, they blew it with the new FSX, worthless trying to get the seat view right.

Atlanticmoe
11-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Ok, I dont get it, shift enter will sit you up in a vc view, in a 2d wiew that I dont use anymore I dont know, but I have seen a 2d view, plenty of view out the front window. Stop your whining, ever been in a real plane, short people have no chance. Tired of this crying, this forum must be all kids. A 2d view in fs9 was great, the vc in fsx is amazing, if you cant see and cant figure out how to sit up just give up. Youre a long winded complainer. Shift + enter will raise your seat, in 2d learn how to use your panel on how to fly. If all fails, buy a sony 3 thing and end your complaining, just shoot people, you should be happy.

Moe

Amtran618
11-19-2006, 12:11 PM
3d is for kids, 2d is more realistic. Have been in a real plane, that's how i make my living, about 6000 hours and a couple jet type ratings.

How about yourself?

dporter
11-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Uhh, Atlanticmoe, where do you see any complaining/whining? We noticed a problem with seat adjustment and asked others about it. This is the purpose of the forum, in case you hadn't noticed.

I'm also a pilot and if you had any time as PIC in a real airplane you would be aware that being able to see the runway after flying an ILS to mins is a very important part of the approach. The way you do that is by adjusting your seat to see comfortably over the panel.

Next time try providing useful input instead of wasting space with things you don't understand.

rumpel
11-19-2006, 03:27 PM
To raise and lower the seat, the commands are "View-Always pan Up" and "View-Always pan down". I have to admit that is not too intuitive, but it works. I have mine on the trigger and pinky of my Saitex x52, and it works very conveniently that way.

John

dporter
11-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Unfortunately panning does the same thing as tilting, which is not a solution since it doesn't actually raise your seat height/view over the panel.

rumpel
11-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Sorry, I thought the problem was being unable to see the runway over the top of the panel. The panning I described cures that.

John

dporter
11-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Yes, panning/tilting rotates the runway into view, but that isn't a good solution since it distorts the perspective.

Although FSX is impressive in many areas, MS took a few annoying steps backwards. With all their personnel, money, resources, beta testers, etc., you would think they could catch the simple things like retaining adequate view controls or making VASI/PAPI lights look realistic instead of like giant spotlights.

rumpel
11-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Not an excuse, but just a reason-"Microsoft", is of course not an entity but a very large group of people. I think the "working people" involved in FS-X were under a lot of pressure from management to get it out before the big marketing season.

For example,I have been using the B737-800 extensively in the last couple of weeks, and there are several annoying errors in an otherwise great panel and aircraft. Some switches are backwards in regard to the On-Off position, one is missing altogether, and another does not function at all. Also The designation "TAS" is displayed on a principal display where the parameter is actually IAS. In addition, what apparently started out as a realistic cabin pressure control system, something I have never seen in a MS default airplane before, was left incomplete. This sort of thing is typical of "hurry up" management.

I could fix most of the mistakes myself with simple corrections to the panel configuration file and a little work with Paintshop Pro, but I am hoping this sort of thing will be picked up in a patch.

John