PDA

View Full Version : Landing

fsc_MA
03-12-2002, 12:44 PM
Hi.
I am new to FS2002. Please can someone explain to me that how do I land big planes, like:

Boeing 747
Boeing 777
Boeing 737

Thank you.
Please reply as soon as possible.

nwabri
03-12-2002, 12:54 PM
Well, that can be complicated. But, if you can get lined up to the runway, that is a start. You are going to want to use your flaps alot. Have them fully extended to keep you nice and slow. Then try to keep your airspeed anywhere between 160 and 180. Look at the reference in the kneeboard for help on speeds. Fly it straight in, and when you are over the numbers, or just before, cut the throttle and let the back wheels touch down first, apply the spoilers, and reverse thrust and you should stop on the runway. However, if you are having troubles lining up with the runway, use the EFIS. Tune the runway ILS frequency in the NAV 1 in the radio stack. Then turn on the EFIS and you should get a path that will take you right down. Other then that, landing takes practice. Keep trying, and you will get it.

Brian A. Neuman
Wooodbury, MN
http://www.neumanflight.com *Coming Soon*

rumpel
03-12-2002, 01:10 PM
You say you are new to FS2002. Does that mean FS2002 only, or MS Flight Simulator in general?

If you are completely new to MS Flight Simlator, I suggest you forget about the big airplanes for a while, and learn how to fly (not just land) the Cessna 172 (lessons section). Then, depending upon your practice time and natural ability, you can work your way up gradually through the propellor airplanes, the smaller jets then the big jets.

The manuals on the CD are required, but can be printed out as needed, avoiding one long session to print out all the airplanes.

If you try to start cold with one of the big heavy jets, I think you will quickly decide that this game is no fun at all.

Rumpel

lnuss
03-12-2002, 06:06 PM
As mentioned above, the first thing to do is to become proficient in the smaller aircraft. Someday soon (it's already been submitted) there will be a How To on basic aircraft control. Below is an abbreviated form of that which I have posted here previously:

My first suggestion would be to work on speed control and attitude control. A student pilot spends 10-20 hours under the tutelage of a CFI learning basic aircraft control.

When a student starts flying in real aircraft, the first thing they learn is what each control does. Understand that the explanations below are for a real aircraft, primarily because the flight models in FS vary tremendously in how close they are to a real aircraft. So get in the FS C-172 or 182, get in level flight at a moderate power setting (say 2250 RPM in the 172), and I'll take you through a few exercises that I've always done with my students.

1) First, forward pressure on the elevators lowers the nose (actually, the angle of attack, but I don't want to get too confusing here), while backward pressure raises the nose. When you release the elevator control after displacing it, the aircraft tends to go back to the condition you started from, though it may take several up and down cycles of the nose to do that. So add prressure in one direction, hold it for a few seconds, then release the control and watch the nose go the other way. The aircraft is attemtpting to get back to the speed for which it was trimmed. After it has gone thrugh a few cycles do it in the other direction.

2) The aileron causes the aircraft to roll, but there are side effects, depending on the specific aircraft. The downgoing aileron tends to create more drag than the upgoing one, so if you put in left aileron, the nose tends to swing a bit to the right while the aircraft starts rolling to the left. Also, the nose tends to drop a bit. So now the drill is to swing the aileron control back and forth, say 1/3rd to 1/2 travel, and watch the nose swing the opposite way. After a few cycles of that, roll in 20 to 30 bank and watch the nose drop. Now level the wings and then go hands off -- you'll see the nose come back up and cycle up and down again, as she tries to get back to trim speed.

3) The sole purpose of the rudder control is to yaw the aircraft side to side. As you step on one pedal, the nose will start to swing in that direction. But the speed difference between the two wings (outside wing is slightly faster) gives the outside wing a touch more lift, so that wing starts to come up a bit. Now neutralize the rudder and you'll see that the nose wants to fall (after all, you put in a bank). Now put in opposite rudder until the wings are level again. Again, the nose will cycle up and down a bit.

4) Now it's time to use more than one control. So let's start with aileron. Remember the adverse yaw (nose swinging opposite the roll)? Which control will correct that? Right, the rudder. So add a little rudder in the same direction as the aileron, moving them together. Center them together when you get the bank angle you want. Now aileron and rudder together back to wings level.

5) Hmmm... The nose still drops, though. So how can we correct that? Right! The elevators. So we need to add a touch of back pressure as we get a little bank in, just enough to keep the nose level and to keep the aircraft from descending, but not enough to climb. Now we're using all three controls together.

Practice this stuff for a while, say half an hour, or until you can do the turns smoothly. Yes, you will be turning from all this, until you get back wings level.

Now lets learn to climb and descend. Remember (if you're in the 172), I asked you to use about 2250 RPM? Now it's time to use your fourth flight control -- power. Make sure you're in straight and level flight again (one of the toughest maneuvers there is).

a) Add full throttle, without touching any other controls. Watch the nose go up and the aircraft starts to climb. After a little of this, reduce the power back to 2250 RPM, still without touching anything else. Yes, the nose will start to fall, and it will again go through the up and down cycles, until it is stable.

b) Now, once you are again straight and level at 2250 RPM, reduce the power to 2000 RPM. Watch the nose start to drop a bit, and you are descending. Now bring the power back to 2250 RPM and watch it again go through the up and down cycles.

c) OK. Now it's time to put all this together. Practice turning while climbing, then while descending, then level off. You may need two or three hours (or more, for some people) to do this smoothly.

Now let's add speed changes.

1a) Again, straight and level at 2250 RPM. Reduce power to about 1800 RPM, gently adding back pressure as needed to maintain altitude. As your airspeed nears a 20 knot loss, add just enough power to hold altitude and use elevator to maintain the airspeed constant. Use elevator trim just enough to take off the pressure from the stick/yoke, so that you can actually take your hands off while maintaining speed and altitude.

Now do more speed changes, adding speed, then reducing speed, adjusting all the controls (including power) to achieve your target speed. Once you can do this well, then start doing speed changes while turning, then while climbing and descending, then while turning and climbing or descending.

Now add 20 flaps, and do the same things, but remain below 70 kts. Now slow below 55 kts and do the same things, turns, climbs, descents, climbing and descending turns and speed changes. Now see how slow you can go while doing all this (you may need to keep bank angles less than 10 at the slowest speeds).

I probably should add that if you stare at the gauges while trying all this, you'll have a tougher time than you should. You need to be looking out the window, except for an occasional glance at the airspeed or altimeter to give you some reference points. Only a quick glance, though, then look right back outside.

This is a sample of what a flight student does in his first two or three hours of flight, with review on each succeeding flight. Now maybe you're ready for the flight lessons in FS.

Larry N.

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3c843fde0e398ee2.jpg

Silverblade
03-12-2002, 06:14 PM
I might add, contrary to what some people think, this isn't a "game", it's a simulation. You don't just jump into the seat of an airliner and expect to get it from point A to point B after only a few minutes orientation! That's why pilots get the big bucks - it takes practice, training and talent.

My advice? Follow Larry's advice and add about 100-200 hours of small airplane practice before taking on the large airliners.

Silverblade

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3c84367e60c1c00b.jpg