PDA

View Full Version : 2D frame rate in FS2004

rccoultas
07-28-2003, 02:26 AM
Hi All,

Need a little help here, maybe. I thought this was a little odd, maybe someone can steer me in the right direction.

I have the C310 running in FS2004 which I really enjoy btw. The only thing that I've noticed was my frame rates drop while in the 2D cockpit view. I get 20fps (locked at 20) while in Virtual Cockpit so no problems there, but when I switch to 2d cockpit the frame rates drop by 7 to 13fps. I was kinda surprised as I thought my frame rates would of suffered more while in VC.

I basically didn't find much difference when going from High to Minimal Display settings. I have mipmapping set at 4, and I also have found that changing the clouds to minimal had little improvement. (also surprised about this, based on some reports of clouds being frame rate killers). Just wondering if anyone might have the C310 running on a similar machine and can help me tweak my settings a bit more. Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Here are some specs:
WinXP sp1
P4 2.4GHz w/1.5GB DDR PC2100Ram
GeForce 4 Ti 4600
Sounblaster Live!

Best Regards,
Randy

doncarlos
07-28-2003, 06:48 AM
Yup...but in 2D I get around 28fps with the 310 but when I go to the normal full screen...get hit big time and drop to around 9-10fps in high density area and around 11-13 in flight. P4 2.2 Ti500. I also find the defaults take a similar big hit. I wonder if the card drivers are involved. Will do some tinkering and report back.

faamecanic
07-28-2003, 08:28 AM
I have the same problem Randy... although sometimes the VC will be just as bad. I think its a problem with FS2004.... this thing is a PIG (not the 310...fs2k4 that is). I love the new stuff...but Jeeze my PC can barely run it with the goodies on.. see my post ref below:

Under certain cloud conditons (solid cloud cover, storms) my performance TANKS.

Im kinda disappointed. I didnt expect to be able to run 2k4 at max settings (until at least a 4ghz CPU's come out...seriously), but as it stands

I have NO AA or AS on, cloud density at 90% and sliders for detailed clouds one notch down. AI traffic at 90%, no reflections, no water effects, dynamic scenery slider at heavy, and other other scenery slider at NORMAL (mid way).

I have seen my FPS drop to 12 fps!! Ughhh. And this is with my PC running a decent overclock. Im thinking I may need a Vidcard with more Horsepower....

Bummer

OH... good news is FS2002 is now flyable (due to Overclock) with Ultimate traffic at 100% even in Atlanta...

PC Specs:
ABit IC7 mobo
P4 2.4b (OC'ed to 2.88ghz)
512 mb GeIL ddr3200 CAS2
Abit GF4 Ti4200 64mb.

EDFM
07-28-2003, 10:38 AM
I donīt think that only a new Video Card will solve this problem. FS always needed fast CPUīs and thatīs why I believe a new CPU could do more than just a new Vcard.

EDFM

Lou_Betti
07-28-2003, 10:43 AM
This is an FS2004 issue, as it is also suffered by some of the default aircraft.

However, we made some changes to the 310 in FS2004 to improve things, and I'm finding frame rates good in both windowed and full screen modes, along with 2D panel and VC.

Regards,
[link:www.dreamfleet2000.com|http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/Forum_Banners/DF_BANNER_FORUM_LOU.gif]

rccoultas
07-28-2003, 11:31 AM
Thanks everyone,

I agree Lou, I would think my lil ol' 2.4GHz would do okay, but since I'm getting great frame rates in every single view except (even with sliders turned up high) 2D mode I'm going to keep playing with this new sim and tweak, tweak, tweak. Oh, and you got it right Lou according to what you said on your radio interview....The C310 "just feels right". Cheers everyone.

Best Regards,
Randy

trekkerj
07-28-2003, 04:52 PM
This really is a shot my confidence in being able to run this thing on my 1.5 ghz machine. If I'm going to have to turn down all the sliders, what's the point?