PDA

View Full Version : You know you are an addict when...

Slick9
02-08-2002, 03:44 PM
LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-02 AT 02:47PM (EDT)[p]I was just thinking of some of my odd behavior that can be attributed directly to simming feel free to add your own insights - on your behavior :-)

You know you are an addict if…

1. Although all your peripheral devices are working perfectly, you purchase a new one because you want that extra hat switch to map four more keyboard functions.

2. After your significant other interrupts you for the third time during final approach to KSFO with 30knt crosswinds, you say to them in a stern voice “will you PLEASE stay out of the cockpit”

3. You convince everyone except yourself that you stayed home because you weren’t feeling well, yourself however, knows you stayed home to sim.

4. At dinner with the new couple down the street, you reply to the question – what did you do today with, “Oh I took the green and white Cessna down to the Grand Canyon”.

5. You have a young child and the first thing they want to do in the morning is climb into your chair and fly. (Learned behavior)

6. You practice the phonetic alphabet by reciting vehicle license tags as you commute to and from work. ie. Tag LKD-789, Lima, Kilo, Delta, 789. Other drivers wonder if you've been drinking.

7. You spend an extra hour plane spotting at the airport because, every time you prepared to leave you convinced yourself the next set of landing lights will be the 747-400 you have waiting for.

8. On your way home from work you embarrassingly run off the road for a second as you try to drive and watch the 727 on final at the same time.

9. After 9/11 your co-workers suspiciously started asking you why you have all this aviation related stuff in your office.

10. You constantly describe in detail feats like, how your superior flying skill helped you avoid the idiot AI pilot who should be grounded.

Jeff S KDTW
02-08-2002, 03:51 PM
>>5. You have a young child and the first thing they want to do in the morning is climb into your chair and fly. (Learned behavior)

:-lol :-lol

.... and they actually do it quite well!!! :-)

[hr color=gray]http://home.earthlink.net/~snyders2000/ga.jpg

jhender501
02-08-2002, 04:30 PM
7. You spend an extra hour plane spotting at the airport because, every time you prepared to leave you convinced yourself the next set of landing lights will be the 747-400 you have waiting for.

I used to hang around MHT with my scanner waiting for the
UPS 767 to come in..usually around 6:45PM..if it was late
I'd hang around listening just a "few more minutes"..listening
to see if it called in from Keene I knew I had about 10 minutes
:-)

Jim

Bvette
02-08-2002, 04:52 PM
LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-02 AT 03:52PM (EDT)[p]4. At dinner with the new couple down the street, you reply to the question – what did you do today with, “Oh I took the green and white Cessna down to the Grand Canyon”.

at lunch (I'm in the 10th grade) I'm always telling my friends that I "was flying upside down over anchroage." or that "I'm getting better at carrier landings!" and then I have to clairafiy that it was in my sim and not in real life.

(darn people who don't know a darn thing abut avation.)

:-)

Bryan

(futer commander of the Space Transport System)

sorry about the spelling.

Frederf
02-08-2002, 04:53 PM
"3. You convince everyone except yourself that you stayed home because you weren’t feeling well, yourself however, knows you stayed home to sim."

How about

3'. Your body actually undergoes a spontaneous chemical reaction that makes you sick so you can stay home and sim.

Ironstar
02-08-2002, 06:03 PM
2. After your significant other interrupts you for the third time during final approach to KSFO with 30knt crosswinds, you say to them in a stern voice “will you PLEASE stay out of the cockpit”

2. My wifes favorite line used to be "You love that computer more then me"

11.The mail and bills are piled on your desk unopend.

12.All the telemarketers stop calling because you have the only phone line tied up looking for new files and talking on the fourms.

13.Your head itches more due to a lack of a good washing.

14.Your pets start to avoid you because they can smeell things about you that you cant. check #13 above

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3c3fb9012893c66d.jpg
http://www.thundermustang.com/
From the left bank of the Mississippi River.

castrol
02-08-2002, 06:39 PM
Excellent,
Was laughing for ages

USA
02-08-2002, 06:51 PM
>2. After your significant other interrupts you for the third >time during final approach to KSFO with 30knt crosswinds, you >say to them in a stern voice “will you PLEASE stay out of the >cockpit”

Man thats so friggen funny...good one!

millj
02-09-2002, 12:12 AM
>2. After your significant other interrupts
>you for the third time
>during final approach to KSFO
>with 30knt crosswinds, you say
>to them in a stern
>voice “will you PLEASE stay
>out of the cockpit”
>

I can fly for 20 minutes or 5 hours and my wife doesn’t disturb me but she has the uncanny knack (through mental telepathy I think) of knowing when I’m on short final. I can’t believe the number of times she’s walked in, wanting to talk, when I was descending at about 500’ AGL.

[link:home.hiwaay.net/~millerjr/boat.htm|http://home.hiwaay.net/~millerjr/smalboat.JPG]

Owen

fbass
02-09-2002, 01:03 AM
LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-02 AT 00:04AM (EDT)[p]11. You can't make up your mind whether you want the engine noise as loud as it will go (so it will shake the room) or to hear what vector the ATC is trying to give.

12. You're so enthrawled with your new graphics board capability and the enhancements to the scenery that you run into that 747 in front of you during your taxi to the active runway.

13. You like the graphics additions you've made to your favorite airport that you try to take off in the "tower" view and stall at the end of the runway thus making everyone's day.

14. You like acrobatics so much that you take a short flight into the Grand Canyon and try to do a barrel roll with only 1000 ft of ground clearance.

dugstone
02-09-2002, 05:16 AM
....you're driving along with your family in the country and say "Gee theses frame rates are smooth, even with all this dense scenery!"

(Actually said that...then realised i needed a holiday!)

jhender501
02-09-2002, 10:13 AM
my wife will be talking to me about something semi-serious as
we're driving somewhere and I'll chime in "hey, you shoulda seen
my crosswind landing at Colorado Springs today!"

Jim

Vike
02-09-2002, 11:51 AM
>
>my wife will be talking to
>me about something semi-serious as
>
>we're driving somewhere and I'll chime
>in "hey, you shoulda seen
>
>my crosswind landing at Colorado Springs
>today!"
>

lol - yeah, I've done that too :)

Adam

MUGGY
02-09-2002, 01:11 PM
16. You take your mail to the post office 20 miles away because its on short final in the nearest class charlie airspace.

17. You say you are going to the mall, but just drive through the parking lot and out the back way to the airport.

18. You have your scanner connected to the AUX IN jack on your stereo system.

19. You have not listened to a CD in months due to number 18.

20. You have the local air traffic controllers' voices and work scedules memorized.

21. You can give street directions to all the local navaid sites.

22. You park in the most remote long term parking lot because its adjacent to the active runway - even if you are not going on a trip.

23. Your only consideration when buying a new computer is what kind of frame rates you can expect.

tailboom
02-09-2002, 01:18 PM
13.Your head itches more due to a lack of a good washing.

14.Your pets start to avoid you because they can smeell things about you that you cant. check #13 above

These two items would have been dealt with...!!!

You would have shaved all body hair to delay that oderiferous problem....

And yer pets would be at the ready to hit those 'G', and 'Flap' keys....

:-wave :-lol set the controls for the heart of the sun:-lol :-wave
http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3c1e53ea3ffd3ea4.jpg

Silverblade
02-09-2002, 01:36 PM
As many of you have already mentioned, wives have ESP...

* You growl and scowl as your wife wants to talk while you're trying to copy your ATC IFR clearance.

* Your wife decides to vacuum around your chair (insisting that you pick up your feet) while you're on final approach in a near zero visibility thunderstorm.

* You consider making a relief tube/bottle and installing a small refrigerator at your desk so you don't have to get up and leave your flight for the bathroom or kitchen.

Silverblade

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3c529f6b3fd541d6.jpg

tailboom
02-09-2002, 02:01 PM
whaddya think an fs addict uses fer a captains chair...??

You can just go, and go, and go......

the sink within arms reach, and the fridge is a MUST ....

fatty
02-09-2002, 02:15 PM
...Your wife wishes you would simulate marraige as well as you simulate flight...

tailboom
02-09-2002, 02:45 PM
I don't 'simulate' marriage', I stimulate it.....:-jumpy
ya gotta know the difference.........:-jumpy

alimaui
02-09-2002, 02:49 PM
>>20. You have the local air traffic controllers' voices and work scedules memorized.<<

This one does not count because the ATC guys are friends of mine. At the beginning of this year when I came back to school, my instructor thought things were a little fishy b/c the first time I flew after being gone for the summer, the ATC guys heard me on the radio and welcomed me back.

Semi-related>> I used to work at an airport hotel, and on my breaks I would go up on the roof to watch arriving and departing traffic... <<who used to get seriously annoyed when guests at the hotel would complain about the airport noise...after which I would respond "Well, we are an AIRPORT hotel, so if you think it is possible to fly over the hotel without the engines, you might ask the captain as a courtesy to tomorrow night's guests."